Hanksgiving: A Tribute to Hank Jones, Part 1By
Click the play button to listenFor our seasonal Hanksgiving show, this year we pay tribute to Hank Jones, both as a pianist and a composer, by playing music from his albums as a leader and sideman, and renditions of his music by musicians that came after him. The collaboration with Malian master musician Cheick Tidiane Seck kicks off a playlist which includes albums ranging from leader projects and solo work, to collaborations with some of the top Miles Davis alumni or with an avangardist with deep standard roots like Anthony Braxton.
Happy listening and belated happy Hanksgiving, what may very well become your new favorite holiday, the jazz equivalent of Festivus for the rest of us jazz loving freaks!
- Ben Allison "Mondo Jazz Theme (feat. Ted Nash & Pyeng Threadgill)" 0:00
- Hank Jones, Cheick-Tidane Seck "Walidi Ya" Sarala (Verve) 0:16
- Host talks 7:16
- Jones Brothers "Keepin' Up with the Joneses" Keepin' Up with the Joneses (Verve) 9:02
- Host talks 15:04
- Hank Jones, Dave Holland, Billy Higgins "The Oracle" The Oracle (EmArcy) 16:35
- Joe Lovano "Six and Four" Joyous Encounter (Blue Note) 23:14
- Host talks 28:39
- Various Artists (feat. Joe Lovano, Hank Jones, George Mraz, Paul Motian) "Johnny Come Lately" Billy Strayhorn: Lush Life (Blue Note) 29:41
- Joe Lovano, Hank Jones "Lullaby (Live)" Kids: Live at Dizzy's Club (Blue Note) 35:19
- Warne Marsh "Hank's Tune" Star Highs (Criss Cross) 43:20
- Host talks 48:56
- The Great Jazz Trio "All Blues" Kindness, Joy, Love & Happiness (East Wind) 51:00
- John Coltrane "The Night We Called It a Day" Bags & Trane (Rhino Atlantic) 59:05
- Bill Evans "Yesterdays" Moods Unlimited (Paddle Wheel) 1:03:24
- Host talks 1:10:28
- The Howard Roberts Quartet "Rough Ridin'" H.R. Is a Dirty Guitar Player (EMI) 1:12:01
- Anthony Braxton "You Go to My Head" Seven Standards 1985, Volume I (Magenta) 1:14:53
- Host talks 1:24:28
- Hank Jones "Oh Look at Me Now" The Maybeck Recital Series, Vol. 16 (Concord) 1:25:18
Post a comment
FOR THE LOVE OF JAZZAll About Jazz has been a pillar of jazz since 1995, championing it as an art form and, more importantly, supporting the musicians who create it. Our enduring commitment has made "AAJ" one of the most culturally important websites of its kind, read by hundreds of thousands of fans, musicians and industry figures every month.
WE NEED YOUR HELPTo expand our coverage even further and develop new means to foster jazz discovery and connectivity we need your help. You can become a sustaining member for a modest $20 and in return, we'll immediately hide those pesky ads plus provide access to future articles for a full year. This winning combination will vastly improve your AAJ experience and allow us to vigorously build on the pioneering work we first started in 1995. So enjoy an ad-free AAJ experience and help us remain a positive beacon for jazz by making a donation today.
About Hank Jones
Instrument: PianoArticle Coverage | Albums | Photos | Similar Artists