Kaja Draksler, Frank Kimbrough, Berta Moreno, Julien Lourau & More New ReleasesBy
Click the play button to listenThis week's exploration of new and upcoming releases continues with a special focus on the late Frank Kimbrough through a preview of his posthumous CD Ancestors and some of the best renditions that appear on the monumental tribute conceived by pianist and producer Elan Mehler, Kimbrough, one of the best releases of the year. Punkt vs. Punkt [Kaja Draksler and Chet Doxas add to the depth and Julien Lourau's tribute to Creed Taylor and Berta Moreno add to the fun. And if you want to know more about a balloon bass then you must check out the merciless groove of Rexray.
- Ben Allison "Mondo Jazz Theme (feat. Ted Nash & Pyeng Threadgill)" 0:00
- Julien Lourau "People Make the World Go Round" Power of Soul, the Music of CTI (Komos) 0:16
- Host talks 5:24
- Berta Moreno "Karibu" Tumaini (Tiger Turn) 6:49
- Host talks 12:11
- Rexray "Clean Up Crew" The Best of WoLLeSoNiC vol. 3 (WoLLeSoNiC) 14:14
- Frank Kimbrough "Waiting in Santander" Ancestors (Sunnyside) 19:15
- Host talks 25:38
- Ben Rosenblum, Rob Jost, Rich Rosenzweig "The Spins" Kimbrough (Newvelle) 27:37
- Scott Robinson, Riley Mulherkar, Allan Chase, Ryan Keberle, Samora Pinderhughes, Ben Wolfe, Jeff Hirshfield "The Call" Kimbrough (Newvelle) 33:03
- Michael Blake, Isaiah J. Thompson, Michael Formanek, Tony Moreno "Sloppy Seconds" Kimbrough (Newvelle) 40:35
- Host talks 45:54
- Punkt vs. Punkt "Morgon Morfin" Somit (Intakt) 48:28
- Chet Doxas "Twelve Foot Blues" Twelve Foot Blues -Single (Whirlwind) 52:11
Post a comment
FOR THE LOVE OF JAZZAll About Jazz has been a pillar of jazz since 1995, championing it as an art form and, more importantly, supporting the musicians who create it. Our enduring commitment has made "AAJ" one of the most culturally important websites of its kind, read by hundreds of thousands of fans, musicians and industry figures every month.
WE NEED YOUR HELPTo expand our coverage even further and develop new means to foster jazz discovery and connectivity we need your help. You can become a sustaining member for a modest $20 and in return, we'll immediately hide those pesky ads plus provide access to future articles for a full year. This winning combination will vastly improve your AAJ experience and allow us to vigorously build on the pioneering work we first started in 1995. So enjoy an ad-free AAJ experience and help us remain a positive beacon for jazz by making a donation today.
About Frank Kimbrough
Instrument: PianoArticle Coverage | Albums | Photos | Similar Artists