A Focus on Mario Pavone & MoreBy
Click the play button to listenThis week a focus on master bassist Mario Pavone who, after a life of partnerships with the likes of Paul Bley, Bill Dixon, Thomas Chapin, Anthony Braxton, Wadada Leo Smith, Marty Ehrlich and others of similar status, has come to the fore in recent years with his own releases as leader. In addition a selection of new releases, and some picks from the archive.
- Brom "Plunge Into an Ice Hole" from Sunstroke (Trost) 00:00
- Burak Bedikyan "Magic Carpet" from New Beginning (SteepleChase) 06:22
- Edward Simon "La Bikina" from La Bikina (Mythology) 13:04
- Ignacio Berroa "Partido Alto" from Codes (Blue Note) 28:55
- Joe Magnarelli "Lady Bird" from If You Could See Me Now (Cellar Live) 36:06
- John Dikeman, Brandon Lopez, Onno Govaert "Precession of Simulacra" from Those Impossible Creatures (Sonorus) 43:25
- Kresten Osgood Quintet "Gazzeloni" from Kresten Osgood Quintet Plays Jazz (Ilk Music) 51:21
- Mario Pavone "Mythos" from Mythos (Playscape) 56:33
- Mario Pavone "George on Avenue A" from Song for (Septet) (New World/Countercurrents) 1:01:52
- Mario Pavone "Suitcase In Savannah" from Vertical (Clean Feed) 1:09:26
- Sergey Avenesov "14" from Secret Language (N.C. Music) 1:14:23
- The MPTHREE "Forty Two Bars for David Anthony Pride" from Sleep Cells (Utech Records) 1:21:42
- Don Bansonti The 14 Jazz Orchestra "Seventh Sign" from The Future Ain't What It Used To Be (Dabon Music) 1:28:46
- Andrew Rathbun "The Golden Fool" from Character Study (SteepleChase) 1:36:34
- Kresten Osgood Quintet "Star Crossed Lovers" from Kresten Osgood Quintet Plays Jazz (Ilk Music) 1:43:08
- Joe Magnarelli "If I Love Again" from Magic Trick (SteepleChase) 1:49:20
- Edward Simon "Gracias a la Vida" from Latin American Songbook (SunnySide) 1:56:40
Post a comment
FOR THE LOVE OF JAZZAll About Jazz has been a pillar of jazz since 1995, championing it as an art form and, more importantly, supporting the musicians who create it. Our enduring commitment has made "AAJ" one of the most culturally important websites of its kind, read by hundreds of thousands of fans, musicians and industry figures every month.
WE NEED YOUR HELPTo expand our coverage even further and develop new means to foster jazz discovery and connectivity we need your help. You can become a sustaining member for a modest $20 and in return, we'll immediately hide those pesky ads plus provide access to future articles for a full year. This winning combination will vastly improve your AAJ experience and allow us to vigorously build on the pioneering work we first started in 1995. So enjoy an ad-free AAJ experience and help us remain a positive beacon for jazz by making a donation today.
About Mario Pavone
Instrument: BassArticle Coverage | Albums | Photos | Similar Artists