A Few More of My Favorite 2022 Jazz Things, Part 1By
Click the play button to listenTwelve months have gone by so fast, and so much has happened... At the beginning of the year we were still under various degrees of lockdown or social distancing, now we have a war, weather patterns and a financial situation that are crazier than ever. One positive thread through these months, however, has been the relentless pace at which creative musicians have brought us album after album of gorgeous music, which confirmed once more that musicians may be the last social group that can still be trusted!
Here are some of our favorite songs in the second half of the year (to check out those from the first part of the year click here and here).
Happy listening... and here's to hoping that 2023 will be equally great for jazz.
- Ben Allison "Mondo Jazz Theme (feat. Ted Nash & Pyeng Threadgill)" 0:00
- Harlem Gospel Travelers "I'm Grateful" Look Up! (Colemine) 0:16
- Host talks 3:27
- Kurt Elling "The Seed (Live at the Pool, London)" SuperBlueThe London Sessions (Edition) 5:10
- Host talks 10:11
- Carmen Staaf, Allison Miller "Blue Thrush" Nearness (Sunnyside) 11:35
- Ken Stubbs "Underfelt" A Day a Way (Cherryk) 14:35
- Host talks 20:59
- Billy Drummond & Freedom of Ideas "Valse Sinistre" Valse Sinistre (Cellar Live) 22:40
- Steve Cardenas, Ben Allison, Ted Nash "Healing Power" Healing PowerThe Music of Carla Bley (Sunnyside) 28:47
- Robin Holcomb "Once" One Way or Another, Vol. 1 (Westerlies) 34:10
- Host talks 38:00
- Billy Mohler "Abstract 1" Anatomy (Contagious Music) 39:11
- Oded Tzur "Love Song for the Rainy Season" Isabela (ECM) 39:55
- Charles Lloyd "Blood Count" Trios: Chapel (Blue Note) 47:12
- Host talks 54:32
- Binker Golding "Blue Note Re:Imagined II" Forth Worth (Blue Note) 56:31
- Mali Obomsawin "Blood Quantum (Nəwewəčəskawikαpáwihtawα)" Sweet Tooth (Out of Your Head) 1:02:00
- Jeremy Rose & the Earshift Orchestra feat. Simon Barker & Chloe Kim "Hold Tight" Disruption! The Voice of Drums (Earshift) 1:13:13
- Host talks 1:20:26
- Tyshawn Sorey "Enchantment" Mesmerism (Yeros7) 1:21:07
Post a comment
FOR THE LOVE OF JAZZAll About Jazz has been a pillar of jazz since 1995, championing it as an art form and, more importantly, supporting the musicians who create it. Our enduring commitment has made "AAJ" one of the most culturally important websites of its kind, read by hundreds of thousands of fans, musicians and industry figures every month.
WE NEED YOUR HELPTo expand our coverage even further and develop new means to foster jazz discovery and connectivity we need your help. You can become a sustaining member for a modest $20 and in return, we'll immediately hide those pesky ads plus provide access to future articles for a full year. This winning combination will vastly improve your AAJ experience and allow us to vigorously build on the pioneering work we first started in 1995. So enjoy an ad-free AAJ experience and help us remain a positive beacon for jazz by making a donation today.
About Charles Lloyd
Instrument: SaxophoneArticle Coverage | Calendar | Albums | Photos | Similar Artists