Birth of Hard Bop (1954 - 1958)By
Click the play button to listenWhile the "Cool School" was emerging on the West Coast from its roots in Bix and Pres as codified by Miles in The Birth of the Cool sessions of 1949 1950, what became known as Hard Bop, a gospel-and blues-influenced variant was growing from Bebop in the east.
- Host Intro 0:00
- Miles Davis Quintet "Doxy" from Bags Groove (Prestige) 3:13
- Miles Davis Quintet "Airegin" from Bags Groove (Prestige) 8:04
- Host speaks 13:01
- Art Blakey Quartet "Once in a While" from A Night at Birdland with Art Blakey Quintet, Vol. 1 (Blue Note) 14:35
- Clifford Brown, Max Roach Quintet "Sandu" from Study in Brown (EmArCy) 19:55
- Host speaks 24:47
- Horace Silver & The Jazz Messengers "Room 608" from Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers (Blue Note) 28:42
- Horace Silver & The Jazz Messengers "The Preacher" from The Norton Jazz Recordings (Norton) 34:01
- Host speaks 38:17
- Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers "Moanin'" from Moanin' (Blue Note) 41:35
- Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers "Along Came Betty" from Moanin' (Blue Note) 51:06
- Host Outro 57:14
Post a comment
FOR THE LOVE OF JAZZAll About Jazz has been a pillar of jazz since 1995, championing it as an art form and, more importantly, supporting the musicians who create it. Our enduring commitment has made "AAJ" one of the most culturally important websites of its kind, read by hundreds of thousands of fans, musicians and industry figures every month.
WE NEED YOUR HELPTo expand our coverage even further and develop new means to foster jazz discovery and connectivity we need your help. You can become a sustaining member for a modest $20 and in return, we'll immediately hide those pesky ads plus provide access to future articles for a full year. This winning combination will vastly improve your AAJ experience and allow us to vigorously build on the pioneering work we first started in 1995. So enjoy an ad-free AAJ experience and help us remain a positive beacon for jazz by making a donation today.
About Clifford Brown
Instrument: TrumpetArticle Coverage | Albums | Photos | Similar Artists