Born: July 19, 1959
Award-winning composer and performer Chris Greco has followed a path in music of discovery and accumulation. He has composed and performed a broad and diverse range of jazz music, classical chamber, and concert hall music. He draws from the music traditions of the past and the present within the worlds of jazz, non-western music, twentieth century music, American popular music, and the classical repertoire.
As a composer and multi-instrumentalist Greco's development was shaped in Los Angeles. Guided by a broad approach and a searching curiosity Greco explored a variety of jazz styles, groups, and changing instrumental formats; duo, trio, quartet, quintet, sextet, and large ensembles. He was a significant contributor to the mainstream modern/post-modern, and mixed-genre jazz culture of Los Angeles in the '80s and '90s. The three recording projects on gwsfourwinds records from the '90s represent his broad view, and the multi-stylistic directions he explored with jazz-based music.
Greco is a professor of music at Benedictine College. He composes in cycles, maintains an active cyclical performance itinerary, and continues to pursue his broad interests that are woven within a professional life of composing, performing, teaching, research, and recording in jazz, classical, electronic, and mixed-genre music.
- UO - Music Competition 2021 Semi-Finalist "Mid-City Funk" Video / Jazz Chris Greco Group
- International Song Competition 2017 Semi-Finalist Jazz Composition "Rains and Prayers"
- ASCAP-Plus Awards 2002-2014 concert music and popular music
- 9th Annual Jazz Critics Poll: 2014 - Reissue, "Standards Vol. 1"
- International Song Competition 2014 Finalist / Honorable Mention Jazz Composition "The Open Door"
- Trane Of Thought 2013 CD - CMJ Top 50 Jazz Albums 20Hollywood Music in Media Awards 2013 Finalist Jazz Composition “Oliver”
- International Song Competition 2013 Semi-Finalist Jazz Composition “Oliver”
- Hollywood Music in Media Award "Best Jazz" Award 2012 “Maia”
- International Song Competition 2012 Semi-Finalist Jazz Composition “Messages”
- Hollywood Music in Media Awards 2011 Finalist Jazz Composition "Merope"
- International Song Competition 2011 Semi-Finalist - "The Open Door"
- Julius Hemphill Composition Award 2001 Finalist - "The Flight Of A Bird Leaves No Trace"
- Selmer Paris Saxophones
- Gonzalez Reeds
- Silverstein Works Pro Team
All About Jazz Articles
Read more articles
Articles Across the Web
...or were mentioned in an All About Jazz article.
July 18, 2014
Chris Greco - Standards, Vol. 1 - 2014 CD Release
October 09, 2013
Chris Greco - Nominee - Hollywood Music In Media Awards 2013
November 17, 2012
Chris Greco - Best Jazz "Maia" - Hollywood Music In Media Awards 2012
October 05, 2012
Chris Greco - Nominee - Hollywood Music In Media Awards 2012
February 22, 2012
Kansas Jazz Collective with Chris Greco at Benedictine College on March...
October 13, 2011
Chris Greco - Nominee - Hollywood Music in Media Awards 2011
September 10, 2010
Kansas Jazz Collective at Benedictine College on September 29, 2010
September 08, 2010
Kansas Jazz Collective
August 13, 2010
Kansas Jazz Collective at Benedictine College (Atchison, KS) on...
January 17, 2010
Kansas Jazz Collective - Chris Greco - March 10, 2010
- Chris Greco-Standards, Vol. 1: "This one is definitely a winner for jazz lovers. A totally excellent jazz listen with some of the highest energy I've heard in 2014! A MOST HIGHLY RECOMMENDED." Improvijazzation Nation Issue 148, 10/20/2014
- "Standards, Vol. 1, y'all, is the sort of crazy, too hip, freaky, whoa-listen-to-THAT, jazz-plus material that got me so hip to Dave Liebman, Paul Motian, and other world class hipsters back when I was discovering not only ECM but also Brubeck, Miles, Weather Report, and all the rest of the cats who still have my brain jangled....Greco interprets classic jazz numbers in a way that makes you think he wrote 'em, and he grabs straight-ahead by the throat, jumps on its back and makes it dance, which is EXACTLY what ears like mine are forever athirst for." FAME Review, Mark S. Tucker, 8/15/2014.
D.M.A., Performance (UCLA)
M.A., Music Composition
Contact by email for availability and rates.
Christopher J. Greco, DMA
Professor of Music
1020 N. Second Street
Atchison, KS 66002
Office (913) 360-7599
E-mail: [email protected]
Music theory, coordinator
Music composition, coordinator
Seminar in Composition
Studio Woodwinds (flute, clarinet, oboe, saxophone)
History of Jazz (summer online)