All About Jazz... Looking Good... Again!
There's always a constant challenge to keep pace with changing technologies... oftentimes, what was "standard" two years ago is obsolete today, and your friends at AAJ continually invest in remaining current.
As we continue to migrate our source code to a modern framework (opening up a host of opportunities in the process), we're also moving forward to ticket events we'll broadcast. Both are ambitious projects that will take a good portion of the year to complete, but they represent a significant part of the changes we'll need to make to ensure long-term sustainability.
In the meantime, we're modernizing the style classes associated with the website. What you'll notice most are the visual refinements to our content sections, particularly on the home page. Our goal was twofold: improve our appearance and highlight the contributors responsible for creating our content.
Improving AAJ's appearance has always been a fun part of the job and we've spent countless hours striking a balance between form and function. We hope you enjoy the new look and please be patient as our changes cascade throughout the site. If you spot anything out of the ordinary, report it in the comments section below.
Breaking down the home page:
- Navigation Bar: Explore (to find sections at both All About Jazz and Jazz Near You); Donate; Sign Up / Sign in; access your member page; Search (by tag or access our advanced search);
- Featured Stories: we slot our top stories in the jumbotron;
- Latest: the last five published articles;
- Radio & Podcasts: presenting our latest programs from a growing list of radio and podcast partners;
- Album Reviews: we typically publish four a day and present the last eight;
- Musicians. We present musicians who have upgraded their professional pages from standard to premium;
- Articles: Select articles that do not appear in the jumbotron;
- Engage: Includes a latest contest giveaway, today's birthdays, and our Publisher's Desk blog;
- News: Sponsored announcements from the industry;
- Free Tracks: Discover new music daily with our Track of the Day feature;
- Musicians Dig AAJ: Three quotes from musicians who have something nice to say about AAJ;
- Fund Drive: Explains our efforts to raise funds to ensure "project AAJ" is ongoing;
- Get More of A Good Thing: Sign up for our free weekly newsletter by simply entering your email address;
- Footer. We gave our footer a bit more pizazz by repeating the header background.
Posted to Publisher's Desk IN THE All About Jazz GROUP
Read more posts by Michael Ricci
Post a comment
FOR THE LOVE OF JAZZAll About Jazz has been a pillar of jazz since 1995, championing it as an art form and, more importantly, supporting the musicians who create it. Our enduring commitment has made "AAJ" one of the most culturally important websites of its kind, read by hundreds of thousands of fans, musicians and industry figures every month.
WE NEED YOUR HELPTo expand our coverage even further and develop new means to foster jazz discovery and connectivity we need your help. You can become a sustaining member for a modest $20 and in return, we'll immediately hide those pesky ads plus provide access to future articles for a full year. This winning combination will vastly improve your AAJ experience and allow us to vigorously build on the pioneering work we first started in 1995. So enjoy an ad-free AAJ experience and help us remain a positive beacon for jazz by making a donation today.
Get 'em while they're hot!Posted: May 18, 2023
New Record Label of the Week ServicePosted: May 11, 2023
Poll Tips and FixesPosted: March 31, 2023
Phishing Scam AlertPosted: March 24, 2023
Participate in Play This!Posted: February 23, 2023
Bacchus Time! PlaylistPosted: February 17, 2023
Wanted: Jazz Album Liner NotesPosted: January 11, 2023
Have a post-related question? Contact us. Like our progress? Support us.