Konrad Conny Bauer (born 4th July, 1943 in Halle an der Saale) began to play guitar at 16 after his family had moved to the Thuringian town of Sonneberg in 1957. In various amateur dance bands he went on to also play trumpet, alto saxophone, drums and bass guitar, as well as singing, performing then current Schlager tunes. His first formal tuition came in 1962 under Hans Baake, learning trombone. Between 1964 and ’68 Conny Bauer studied trombone at the ‘Carl Maria von Weber’ college of music under Willi Baumgärtel and Alouis Bambula. In 1970 he continued his studies in Berlin under the tutelage of Gerhard Lemke.
Since 1973 he has continued to explore and experiment with this instrument, continually developing new worlds of sound for himself and his audiences.
Conny Bauer has played as soloist and (amongst others) as a member of the following orchestras and ensembles:
* Graham Collier Big Band
* London Jazz Composers Orchestra
* NDR Big Band
* European Jazz Ensemble
* Joachim Kühn- Jubilee Band
* Creative Music Orchestra USA / Canada
* East Asia Orchestra Japan
* Globe Unity Orchestra
Conny Bauer has created musical projects with such notable players as:
* Peter Brötzmann, Fred van Hove, Han Bennink, Derec Bayley
* Butch Morris, Micha Mengelberg, Antony Braxton, George Lewis
* Alexander von Schlippenbach, Tony Oxlay, Jon Rose, Barry Guy
* Peter Kowald, Louis Moholo, Maggie Nickols, E