Ted Piltzecker has performed at festivals throughout the US and around the globe. His five albums as a leader have been critically acclaimed and influential in both the percussion and jazz worlds. The current release “Brindica” reflects his recent four-month venture around the world. It was recorded in New York and in Buenos Aires, and evokes musical encounters in Iceland, India, Nepal, and Bali. "Piltzecker writes and arranges tunes that draw on tango, second-line, Afro-Cuban, South African, and even carnatic influences, always in an organic, fun, and respectful way. The result is a stylistic kaleidoscope of an album that reveals new combinations of rhythm and harmony at every turn and always sparkes with wit and good humor." CD HotList
Ted Piltzecker has received awards from the National Endowment, NY State Council, NJ State Council, Lincoln Center Institute, and the ASCAP Foundation. He is a professor of music composition at the Purchase Conservatory of Music, SUNY and also teaches vibraphone at the Hartt School in CT.
A graduate of the Eastman and Manhattan Schools, he performs using Musser vibraphones and his signature Mike Balter mallets. Additional information: TedVibes.com.
• National Endowment for the Arts, performance fellowship
• National Endowment for the Arts, composition
• New Jersey State Council on the Arts, fellowship
• New York State Arts Council, composition fellowship
• International Association of Jazz Educators, resource
team, mallet instruments
• Lincoln Center Institute composer-in-residence
• National Endowment for the Arts, fellowship to premiere new work
• American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers,
• MacDowell Colony and Millay Colony residencies
• Commissioned composer
• State University of New York Faculty Development
Ted Plays a Musser Pro-Vibe M-55. His artistic and
educational activities are endorsed by the Conn-Selmer
Company and Mike Balter Mallets and the Vic Firth education team
“The melodies are superb! The vibes work is exceptional.” - JAZZ REVIEW
"The combined physical skills of a drummer and pianist are
needed to master the vibraphone. Ted Piltzecker has an
abundance of both, along with superb compositional abilities." - REAL JAZ
“Ted Piltzecker marries engaging rhythmic interplay to crisp original
compositions that ring true for their melodic inventiveness and accessibility.
This is feel-good music with bite.” - JAZZ IN SPACE
"Yet further proof that some of the most original and
interesting jazz out there lies somewhere beyond the confines
of the big city club circuit." - LUCID CULTURE
New York City
Willing to teach
Intermediate to advanced
• Ted is an tenured associate professor at the Purchase
Conservatory of Music, State University of New York. He is
the former chair of the innovative Studio Composition department
where both his writing and performing skills contribute to the
education of students aspiring to compose, perform and
produce music. Ted also serves on the jazz faculty.
• Ted is also on the percussion faculty at the Hartt School of Music, University
of Hartford where he concertizes and teaches vibraphone.