In marking their third year on the independent label scene, 32 Jazz has put together an impressive three-disc compilation culled from their broad and well-researched library (which now contains the entire Muse/Landmark discography, as well as rare album and television productions by the likes of Judy Garland and Tom Jones). From Nat Adderly to Zoot Sims, this box has it all set! With an educational booklet which lists the catalog history of each selection, Gems includes a number of vocalized diamonds in the rough such as Etta Jones’s achy warble through Rodgers and Hart’s "My Romance" and Mose Allison’s live and lively "It Feels So Good," alongside instrumental pearls such as Hank Jones’s ivoried rendition of Charlie Parker’s "Bloomdido," Red Garland’s pianistic take on Cole Porter’s "It’s Alright With Me," and McCoy Tyner’s "Passion Dance," as handled by Rashaan Roland Kirk (you don’t get much more instrumental than that!). From pianos, horns and guitars to vibes and drums, 32 provides a broad introduction to their label and to the wonderful world of jazz in one economical package.
Track Listing: 1. When Your Lover Has Gone - Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis
2. Doin' That Thing [Live] - Les McCann
3. Mo's Theme - Nat Adderley
4. My Romance - Etta Jones
5. Cap'n Jack - Jack McDuff
6. All the Things You Are - Sonny Criss
7. Iron City - Grant Green
8. Blue Seven - Ron Carter
9. Sunny [Live] - Pat Martino
10. Shana - David "Fathead" Newman
11. Great City - Ernie Andrews
1. Naima [Live] - Cedar Walton
2. Tetragon - Woody Shaw
3. Free Slave - Roy Brooks
4. Blue in Green - Wallace Roney
5. Turkish Women at the Bath
6. Theme for Malcolm - Donald Byrd
7. It Feels So Good [Live] - Mose Allison
8. Ruby, My Dear [Live] - Charlie Rouse
9. Passion Dance - Rahsaan Roland Kirk
10. Oleo - Kenny Barron
1. Broadway - Richard "Groove" Holmes
2. Body and Soul - Al Cohn
3. It's All Right With Me - Red Garland
4. In Walked Bud - Bobby Hutcherson
5. Bar Wars - Willis "Gator" Jackson
6. Scrapple from the Apple [Live] - Phil Woods
7. Blues to Be There - Johnny Lytle
8. Blues in the Guts [Live] - Red Rodney
9. Bloomdido - Hank Jones
10. Constellation - Sonny Stitt
11. Song for My Father [Live] - Horace Silver
World music pioneer Adam Rudolph and his groundbreaking Go: Organic Orchestra join forces with Brooklyn Raga Massive to create the monumental new album, Ragmala – A Garland of Ragas (Meta Records). Ragmala bridges generations, cultures and traditions in a deep-rooted, forward-looking sound born of 21st-century innovation and hybrid voices. Epic in scale and ambition, the project features 40 world-class musicians including Gnawa master musician Hassan Hakmoun, legendary drummer/percussionist Hamid Drake, forward-thinking cornetist Graham Haynes, and tradition-blurring flutist...
We sent a confirmation message to . Look for it, then click the link to activate your account. If you don’t see the email in your inbox, check your spam, bulk or promotions folder.
Thanks for joining the All About Jazz community!
Find All About Jazz articles, news, musician pages, and more!