Born: November 29, 1957
Tim Bruer is a Sydney based pianist and composer. He performs regularly around the Sydney area, playing solo piano, and with various bands. He also teaches piano and a number of other subjects at The Australian Institute of Music.
Over a career spanning more than 40 years, Tim has performed with many of Australia’s finest musicians including James Morrison, Dale Barlow Jackie Orzarsky, Carl Orr, Steve Hunter, and Elana Stone. He holds both a Bachelor of Music and a Masters of Music degree in jazz performance, and has studied extensively with Mike Nock. Tim has also been featured on a number of recordings by artists such as The Acca Daiquiris, Guy LeClaire, Max Sharam and Hammerhead, and 2007 saw the release of his first CD under his own name. “The Tim Bruer Quartet” finds him collaborating with some of his favourite players, and reflects his many years of playing jazz, funk and r&b
- 1980-85 - Support gigs for Joe Henderson, Freddie Hubbard and Johnny Griffin; performed with Don Burrows and James Morrison at Adelaide Festival Theatre; toured with Adelaide University Big Band and performed at Manly jazz festival. Graduated with Bachelor of Music degree from Adelaide University.
- 1985-91 – Finalist in the inaugural Wangaratta jazz award; fronted own bands at Soup Plus; toured with Jive band "The Anthill Mob" and appeared on many TV shows.
- 1992-96 - Arranger /pianist for Nielsen Gough; supported Ronnie Jordan; featured on Max Sharam's top ten single "Be Firm"; recorded with Guy LeClaire; Musical Director/pianist for Delilah.
- 1997-2002 - recorded in London with Gene Calderazzo; recorded at Hillcrest Coachman jazz festival with Kate Swadling.
- 2002-2007 - graduated with Masters Degree from Sydney Conservatorium of Music; released self titled CD.
Activities from 2007 till present – Regular performances in the Sydney area including leading his own groups at both the Seymour Centre and Foundry 616; released solo piano album "Love Letters, Compositions for solo piano" November 2022.
All About Jazz Articles
Read more articles
Articles Across the Web
...or were mentioned in an All About Jazz article.
On "Love Letters - Compositions for solo piano"
“Another gem from the Covidian era of isolation. Love Letters is a set of sublimely composed, highly personal solo pieces from the consummate Sydney pianist Tim Bruer played with passion, charm and without pretense.” Peter Wockner
"A must hear for lovers of modern piano music" Mike Nock
"Bruer has delivered a stellar album full of warmth, understatement, and effortless flow with a unique rhythmic sensibility that is best listened to in its entirely" Barry O'Sullivan
Willing to teach
Intermediate to advanced