8 albums to their credit, 450 concerts on 4 continents and in 39 countries, collaborative multidisciplinary projects with artists from all over the world. So many dialogues and generous exchanges that have continued to feed the work of OZMA lead by drummer and composer Stéphane Scharlé.
Since 2001, OZMA has taken us on journeys, across continents but also musical styles, borrowing largely from rock grammars, traditional music and electronic landscapes. Like a willingness to hear John Coltrane interacting with Rage Against The Machine, Ravi Shankar jamming with Pink Floyd, or Amon Tobin hitching up with the fanfares of New Orleans...
In addition to their singular jazz, OZMA has developed a real sensitivity for composing music to fit with image which gave birth to many photoconcerts including «Crossroads», a 2019 creation resulting from the meeting with European, African and Asian photographers; «20! A tribute to two decades of democracy in South Africa; or «1914-1918, Other Looks» reviving an unpublished photographic archive of the First World War. In its multidisciplinary approach, OZMA is also the creator of many film concerts including the films «The Lost World» by Harry O. Hoyt (2017), «The Three Ages» by Buster Keaton (2014), or « The Battleship Potemkin «of Eisenstein (2010).
- 2019 "Export Success 2018" of the French Export Bureau. OZMA is the most French exported jazz band of the year
- 2018 "Export Success 2018" of the French Export Bureau among 54 other French artists like Emile Parisien
- 2013 Selected among 12 European bands at the 12 points festival in Dublin
- 2009 "Jazzmigration" recepient of the French Festival Federation AFIJMA (now called AJC).
- 2007 "Jazz Primeur" recepient of Culturesfrance (now Institut Français), French Ministry of Culture
- 2007 "Grand Price at the National Jazz a la Défense Competition" in Paris
- Showcase selections : Jazz Export Days in Coutances (2020) Jazzahead in Bremen (2019, 2013) Jazz Accros Borders in St Petersburg (2019) Injazz in Rotterdam (2019)
One of the «sure bets» of young world jazz. ROCK & FOLK (FEV 2017)
One of the ten jazz albums to listen to before 2017 LES INROCKS (FEV 2017)
Among the best jazz albums of 2016 JAZZNEWS (NOV 2016)
Their music is strong and intense, and with a fascinating complexity. JAZZTHETIC (JANV 2017)
4 stars album in 2016, revelation album in 2012 JAZZMAG/JAZZMAN
Their last album, one of the bests released in 2012. LIBERATION (DEC 2012)
OZMA offers us another musical universe. (…) with no doubt, their master stroke. LES ECHOS (DEC 2012)