After twenty-five years, John Killoch is closing his UK-based retail CD outlet, Mainly Big Bands,
which is sad news for those who have relied on his honesty and expertise, especially in the area of big-band albums. He says he'll soon be posting a "sale list on the web site, www.mainlybigbands.com, and that the web address will eventually be offered for sale. Best wishes for a long and happy retirement, John; you've earned it.
Jazz Improv Plans NYC Conference
I was delighted to learn that Jazz Improv, the "Rolls Royce of Jazz magazines, for whom I once penned the occasional review, is continuing to grow and spread its wings, planning its first Convention and Festival next October 25-28 in New York City, more specifically at the New Yorker Hotel, 481 Eighth Avenue. There'll be exhibits, panels and workshops on a variety of topics along with performances by a number of well-known Jazz artists including (as this was being written) McCoy Tyner, Pat Martino, Joey DeFrancesco, Jimmy Heath, Wallace Roney, Geri Allen, Sonny Fortune, Vic Juris, Valery Ponomarev, Ron Blake, Jimmy Bruno, Mark Elf, Cecil Brooks III, Loren Schoenberg, Hal Galper, Mike Longo, Harvie S, Tim Horner, Michael Weiss, Dom Minasi, Marvin Stamm and Frank Catalano, with many other names to be added between now and then.
For further information, contact Jamie@jazzimprov.com; for hotel reservations, phone 866-800-3088 (and mention the JI Convention for discounted rates) or visit the web site, www.nyhotel.com
And that's it for now. Until next time, keep swingin'!
New and Noteworthy
1. Joe Sullivan Big Band, Stop And Listen (Effendi)
2. Fred Stride Jazz Orchestra, Forward Motion (Cellar Live)
3. Buddy Rich, Rich In London (Mosaic)
4. Nova Jazz Orchestra, In A Lucid Moment (NJO)
5. Columbus Jazz Orchestra, The Colors Of Jazz (Jazz Arts Group)
6. University Of Colorado, CU Over The Rainbow (UC Jazz)
7. George Gruntz Concert Jazz Band, Tiger By The Tail (TCB)
8. Mace Francis Orchestra, Introducing . . . (no label)
9. Big Time Jazz Orchestra, Fanfare For Some Flounder? (no label)
10. Foxborough (MA) High School, Jump For Joy (no label)
11. Frank Macchia/Prague Orchestra, Emotions (Cacophony)
12. University of Northern Iowa, Destination Unknown (Sea Breeze Vista)
13. SWR Big Band, A Fresh Taste Of Thad Jones And Frank Foster (Hanssler Classic)
14. Erwin Lehn Orchestra, Let 'Em Swing! (CK Records)
15. Tracy Wells Big Swing Band, Swing Is Here (TW)