D C DowDell
D C's passion for Jazz has also led to composing and arranging charts for top vocalists, solo instrumental artists and orchestra with influences from Gil Evans, Bob Florence and George Russell.
Born in Southern California, D C DowDell studied Music Education at UCLA and earned Masters of Music Composition at UNT. In 1993 the first publishing of Basic Musicianship was released, a primary music reference and theory text written by D C DowDell, which is currently sold online.
D C DowDell currently lives Ocean Beach, California where he appears locally with Jazz ensemble and teaches Jazz theory and composition at A Passion for Jazz! Music Studios.
• Yamaha YSS-62 purple label Bb soprano saxophone w/ Selmer Paris Super Session (J) MP
• Allora Vienna Eb sopranino saxophone w/ Selmer Paris S-80 (F) MP
• Buffet Tosca Bb soprano clarinet w/ Pyne Bel Canto (M) MP
• Gemeinhardt 33SSB C soprano open-holed solid silver flute w/ K1 headjoint
• Yamaha C-6 6'11" acoustic concert grand piano
• Yamaha P-90 88 key digital pro stage piano
• Martin Sigma FDM-1 6 string acoustic guitar
• Roland XV-5050 rack mount synth module
• DSP 256XL rack mount multi-effects processor
• Roland 550 stereo keyboard amps (x2)
• Pro Tools 10 HD DAW w/JACK for Linux
• Various mics & other recording gear & software.
Willing to teach
Beginner to advanced
D C DowDell is a professional Jazz pianist/composer who currently teaches Jazz studies at A Passion for Jazz! Music Studios. He has been teaching music for over 40 years at the university level, several community colleges as well as accepting students for private study.
As author, D C has published numerous articles as well as the primary reference text Basic Musicianship a focus for pianists, vocalists and composers.
D C DowDell also maintains an active performance schedule, having appeared with Rosemary Clooney, Marilyn McCoo, Bobby Vinton to name just a few. Generally, he stays in the Southern California area with Jazz ensemble or as a solo artist.
American Federation of Musicians
National Music Teachers Association
International Association of Jazz Education
Bachelors of Music Education from UCLA
Masters of Music Composition from UNT