Contrary to occasionally voiced queries, Derek is not the Beatles' former publicist.
Derek has been writing about music for going on eight years with several detours into mild burnout, but so far no serious derailments. He works as a counselor for his bread & butter, supplemented by the small pittance freelance music journalism pays. Jazz and improvised music are his most familiar genre haunts, but blues, rock, old time country, folk, and ethnic strains the world over also bend his ears in pleasing directions. Contrary to occasionally voiced queries, he is not the Beatles' former publicist.
- John Coltrane - FIRST MEDITATIONS (Impulse)
- Charles Mingus - AT ANTIBES (Atlantic)
- Sonny Rollins - LIVE AT THE VILLAGE VANGUARD (Blue Note)
- Gene Ammons - GENTLE JUG (Prestige)
- William Parker - COMPASSION SEIZES BED-STUY (Homestead)
- Cecil Taylor - TREE OF LIFE (FMP)
- Andres Segovia - MY FAVORITE WORKS (MCA)
- Jimi Hendrix - ELECTRIC LADYLAND (MCA)
- Hüsker Dü - NEW DAY RISING (SST)
- Minutemen - DOUBLE NICKELS ON THE DIME (SST)