Sometimes what you crave in your CD player is just a great representation of a particular sound or instrument. Savoy Jazz has dug into its spectacular archives and released two new such collections: one of bluesy tenor sax recordings, the other of great trumpet sides. These releases are the perfect blend of great music and a showcase for some of the finest recordings on that particular instrument.
Groovin’ High: The Ultimate Trumpet Collection is a terrific representation of some of the greatest trumpet players greatest pieces. Included in this collection include Dizzy Gillespie’s “Birks Works,” Freddie Hubbard’s “Gypsy Jingle Jangle,” Fats Navarro’s “Nostalgia” and Randy Brecker’s “No Scratch.” Rounding out this collections are recordings by Miles Davis, Howard McGhee, Kenny Dorham, Shorty Rogers, Donald Byrd, Thad Jones, Nat Adderley, Art Farmer, Lee Morgan and Wilbur Harden.
Good Time Blues: The Ultimate Tenor Sax Collection takes a more thematic approach to it’s compilation. Rather than just a display of some of the greats on their instrument, this collection adds a more subdued tone of top-notch blues tinged recordings from some of the greats. Featured tracks include Coleman Hawkins’ “On the Sunnyside of the Street,” Dexter Gordon’s “Dexter’s Mood,” Lester Young’s “June Bug” and James Moody’s “Moody Speaks.” Rounding out this collection are tracks recorded by John Coltrane, Ben Webster, Don Byas, Illinois Jacquet, Stan Getz, Sonny Rollins, Zoot Sims, Gene Ammons, Yusef Lateef, Hank Mobley, Benny Golson and Booker Ervin.
Like any good collection should, these two play evenly and make tangential sense. The tenor sax collection works well as both mood and foreground music. What also makes these collections worth the investment is the inclusion of very informative and detailed notes about each track by Doug Ramsey in the tenor sax collection and by Bob Blumenthal in the trumpet album. Also, the sound quality has been greatly enhanced using 24-bit remastering that only adds depth and tone to the original recordings.
Groovin' High: The Ultimate Trumpet Collection
1. Dizzy Gillespie - "Birk's Works"
2. Fats Navarro - "Nostalgia"
3. Howard McGhee - "Bass C Jam"
4. Miles Davis - "Milestones"
5. *Kenny Dorham - "Groovin' High" (Cecil Payne Recording)
6. Shorty Rogers - "Grab Your Axe Max (alt.)
7. Donald Byrd - "Star Eyes"
8. Thad Jones - "Alone Again"
9. Nat Adderley - "Porky"
10. Art Farmer - "Blue Bossa"
11. *Lee Morgan - "Doug's Minor Bouk" (Hank Mobley Recording)
12. Wilber Harden - "Shall We Dance?"
13. *Freddie Hubbard - "Gyspsy Jingle Jangle" (Benny Golson Recording)
14. Randy Brecker - "No Scratch"
Good Time Blues: The Ultimate Tenor Sax Collection
1. Coleman Hawkins - "On the Sunny Side of the Street"
2. Lester Young - "June Bug"
3. Ben Webster - "Blue Skies"
4. Don Byas - "September in the Rain"
5. Illinois Jacquet - "Don't Blame Me"
6. Stan Getz - "Don't Worry 'Bout Me"
7. Dexter Gordon - "Dexter's Mood"
8. Sonny Rolins - "Audobon"
9. James Moody - "Moody Speaks"
10. Zoot Sims - "Tasty Pudding"
11. Gene Ammons - "Good Times Blues"
12. Yusef Lateef - "8540 Twelfth Street"
13. John Coltrane - "E.F.F.P.H"
14. Hank Mobley - "Blues Number Two"
15. Benny Golson - "Five Spot After Dark"
16. Booker Ervin - "Autumn Leaves"
Visit Savoy Jazz on the web at www.savoyjazz.com .