NYC native. Ph.D. Jazz fan since birth. College English Assistant Professor. Published poet.
Growing up in New York I have had the opportunity to be present at jazz creation--from the classic Coltrane Quartet at Birdland, to Monk at the Five Spot, Dizzy, Mingus, Roland Kirk, Cecil Taylor, Air, The World Saxophone Quartet, Billy Harper, The Art Ensemble of Chicago, and on and on. Exhilarating! Last caught: Art Ensemble of Chicago at International House, and Chris Potter Quartet at Chris' Jazz Cafe--both in Philly. Jazz is sacred, mysterious, and endless.
- John Coltrane - Impulse Quartets Box
- Duke Ellington - RCA Box
- Milton Nascimento - Personal Compilation (Geraes, Club De Esquina, etc.)
- Cecil Taylor - Conquistador
- Gil Evans - The Individualism Of Gil Evans
- Guillermo Klein - Los Guachos III
- Henry Threadgill - You Know The Number
- James Newton - The African Flower
- Andrew Hill - Complete Blue Note Sessions (1963-66)
- Chico Freeman - Kings of Mali
- Michael Blake - More Like Us