Lover of jazz for many, many years.
Lover of jazz for many.many, many years.
My Jazz Story
I love jazz because it is a never-ending collaborative exploration of
musical boundaries through spontaneous self-expression.
I was first exposed to jazz at around age nine. It was probably
Brubeck or Miles.
I met Jimmy Cobb, Buster Williams, Javon Jackson, Jeremy Pelt, Ron
Carter, Odean Pope, George Barron, Bobby Jankel, Kurt Elling,
The best show I ever attended was Gato Barbieri at the Main Point in
Bryn Mawr, PA, probably around 1977. The man was on fire.
The first jazz record I bought (with my own money) was either "Giant
Steps" or Miles' "My Funny Valentine."
My advice to new listeners is explore the blues, and the abstract
- Miles Davis, Kind of Blue both sessions, Miles Ahead, Porgy & Bess
- John Coltrane, A Love Supreme,
- Bill Evans,Paris Concerts #2, Complete Village Vanguard Sessions w/LaFaro
- Miles and Monk at Newport
- Monk, Straight No Chaser
- Coltrane, Ascension
- Mahavishnu Orchestra, Inner Mounting Flame,
- Sonny Rollins, Saxophone Colossus,Tenor Madness
- Mozart,Symphony #40 and 41
- JS Bach, Brandenburg Concertos
- Symphony #5, Mahler
- Schoenberg,Verclarte Nachte,
- Charlie Parker, Master Takes
- Pat Metheny, This Way Up
- Stravinsky, Rite of Spring, Petroushka