Harley White Jr.
At the root the Harley White Jr. Orchestra (HWJO) plays the
Blues. Harley White Jr. is an Oakland native and the son of prominent
Bassist and Educator Harley White. The orchestral blues from the 20's
to the 50's era was a big part of the HWJO origins. Classic and
original works in the styles of Ellington, Basie and Armstrong were
program staples. The HWJO's new styles include Funk, Latin, and
Cabaret favorites served up by 10 of Sacramento's best jazz musicians.
Harley White Jr. has lead bands such as 'Papa's Culture' (Electra
records) 'The Original Heads (Faith Evans) and now he leads the HWJO.
Harley has worked with various and notable artist such as Melvin Van
Peebles, Raphael Saadiq, Cake, Faith Evans, Nelson Riddle,
Blackalicious, Ben Harper, Amiri Baraka, Al Young, Will Alexander,Trio
Casindio (Jose Montoya) , Daisy Spot,Dr.Echo, and Harley White Sr.
Harley has also presented the world famous Count Basie Orchestra.
* 1991- 1996 "Papa's Culture" (Funk/Pop/World Beat)
* 1995 to 2004 "Original Heads"(Funk/Jazz/Hip Hop)
* 2005 to present "Harley White Jr. Orchestra" (Swing/Blues)
* 1993 Papa's Culture 'Papa's Culture but...' (Elektra Records
* 1995 Melvin Van Peebles 'Ghetto Gothic' (Capitol Records)
* 1998 Cake "Prolonging the Magic " (Volcano Records)
* 1998 Blackalicious 'Nia ' (Quannum Records)
* 2002 Blackalicious 'Blazing Arrows' (MCA/Universal)
* 2002 Ben Harper/Blackalicious 'Blazing Arrows' (MCA/Universal)
* 2004 Jose Montoya/Casindio "Locura Cura" (Royal Chicano Air Force)
* 2005 Faith Evans ' The First Lady' (Capitol)
* 1995 Uncle Bend's: An American Negro Narrative, Sacramento Theatre
Company (actor, performer)
* 1999 'Live from Death Row: The Scottsboro Boys' by Mark Stein,
Sacramento River Stage. (Composer, performer)
* 2009-present Sizzling Sirens Burlesque Experience*2012 For Colored
Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When The Rainbow is Enuf directed by
Melinda Wilson Sacramento State
Poetry:Amiri Baraka, Al Young,Will Alexander and Justin Desmangles
"It's Going Down" for Universal Motion Picture release "Brown Sugar"
"Beautiful Dream" for UPN Television Show "Girlfriends" "Stolen
Moments" NK Media Feature film 2013
Sacramento Waldorf High School
Sacramento Metropolitan Arts Comm. Artist in residence Thomas
The "Housecats" and "Take 5" youth jazz ensembles
Edward Kimble Elementary School
Skip's Music "Stairway to Stardom"
Guitar Workshop (Sacramento Ca)
Pacific Housing Music Works
TEDx Sacramento lecture guest 2012
* Platinum Record for Faith Evans' The First Lady' as songwriter and
* 'Sammie' awards (Sacramento News and Review Award) for groups Papa's
Culture, Original Heads, Dutch Falconi Orchestra, Daisy Spot, the
Housekats,Critical Achievement and Best Bassist.
* Direct from Death Row: The Scottsboro Boys (winner of Best Ensemble,
L.A. Weekly Award, and Best Ensemble, Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle
* Rolling Stone Magazine "Best New Faces" 1993
*2010 and 2012 Sacramento News and Review winner "Outstanding Jazz