Keith Henry Brown
Jazz enthusiast and artist
I first became aware of this music in the mid-seventies on a Saturday afternoon when my
best friend took a Beatles LP off my turntable and replaced it with Miles Davis' Kind Of
After that monumental incident, my life irreparably changed. I still love the fab four, but
now I see them like that little red headed girl in kindergarten you once had a crush on.
In later years, I became an illustrator and cartoonist, designing greeting cards and
illustrating magazine articles. Eventually, I graduated to writing the odd article about
music. As a freelance designer, I have designed covers for many well known jazz artists,
most recently Christian McBride and Toshiko Akiyoshi.
In time, I landed a job at Jazz at Lincoln Center, where I served as Design Director
(designing programs, posters, and advertising) working under the direction of Artistic
Director Wynton Marsalis. This was an amazing education, having the chance to meet
and see the jazz musicians life and artistic process up close. Years later, I performed the
same function for The Blue Note Jazz Club and served the same function. There, I met
many more brilliant musicians and got to know a few as friends.
As far as personal taste, it's everywhere.
It's eclectic. I never know what I'm going to like. Or why.
- Gil Scott Heron - Pieces of a Man
- Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
- Miles Davis - Miles Smiles
- Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life
- Maiden Voyage, Headhunters and Speak Like A Child - Herbie Hancock
- Neil Young - Harvest Moon
- Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz To Come
- The California Concert / The CTI All-Stars
- Horace Silver - The Tokyo Blues
- John Coltrane - Live At Birdland
- Billie Holiday - The Complete Billie Holiday On Verve
- Eric Dolphy - Far Cry
- Antonio Carlos Jobim - Antonio Carlos Jobim & Stan Getz
- Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus - Charles Mingus