Gerardo Alejos Victoria
Gerardo is a jazz aficionado, lawyer and legal translator from Yucatán, México.
My parents took me to see Tito Puente's Latin Orchestra in my hometown, Mérida, when my mother was 6-7 months pregnant, so maybe jazz got into me before I was actually born. My serious passion developed in the late 1990's after listening to John Coltrane's Live at Birdland while being drunk at some friend's car. Very generously, my friend gave me the Coltrane CD and I listened to it every night for the following two months. Then another friend sent me a copy of Keith Jarrett's Köln Concert and thus began another three-month period of listening to it every night before falling asleep, until Jarrett finally appeared in a dream and revealed to me that the Köln Concert's real name was the "Purple concert".
Right now I teach a jazz history class, have an online jazz radio show and work as the communications and repertory director of the Yucatán Jazz Festival, besides working full-time as a lawyer for the State of Yucatán and as a legal translator.
Any parties interested in performing at the Yucatán Jazz fest (held every year in March) should feel free to contact me at my email address above. Past performers have included French clarinetist Louis Sclavis, sax player Sylvain Beuf, accordionist Marc Berthoumieux, guitar player Louis Martinez and the electro-jazz ensemble Wise, Cuban sax player Carlos Averhoff (one of the founders of Irakere) and a myriad of Mexican jazz musicians.
- John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
- Bix Beiderbecke - Bix & Tram (JSP box set)
- John Lewis' Modern Jazz Society - Presents a Concert of Contemporary Music
- Keith Jarrett - Concerts: Bregenz
- Louis Moholo - Spirits Rejoice!
- Albert Mangelsdorff - Tromboneliness
- Edward Vesala - Nan Madol
- Willie Colón y Héctor Lavoe - Lo Mato
- Dave Holland - Conference of the Birds
- Mose Allison - Greatest Hits (also issued as "Seventh Son")
- Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch!
- John Surman, Barre Philips & Stu Martin - The Trio
- Willie Colón y Rubén Blades - Siembra
- Chris McGregor & the Brotherhood of Breath - Self-titled
- Ray Barretto - Indestructible
- Misha Mengelberg, Steve Lacy, George Lewis, Han Bennink, Arjen Gorter - Change of Season: the Music of Herbie Nichols
- Markolino Dimond y Frankie "Bebop" Dante feat. Chivirico - Beethoven's Fifth
- Krzysztof Komeda - Astigmatic
- Silvio Rodríguez - Al Final de Este Viaje
- Caetano Veloso/Joao Bosco/Ney Matogrosso - Montreux '83: Brazil Night
- Captain Beefheart & his Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica
- Peter Brötzmann Octet - Machine Gun