Velez is a freelance writer whose work appears in Time Out, Genre and AidsMeds.com.
The "gorgeous mosaic" of my life has included many years as a book publisher and editor, (Marlene DietrichÃ¯Â¿Â½s ABC, RKO Classic Screenplay Series, The Bedside, Bathtub & Armchair Companion to Agatha Christie, etc.) and an ongoing private practice as a psychoanalyst. I'm an educator, (The New School University), as well as guest lecturer at colleges, high schools and other organizations, and a freelance writer/editor. My longtime involvement with HIV activism began with participating in ACT UPÃ¯Â¿Â½s first demonstration in Wall Street in 1987. Currently I write regularly for www.AIDSMEDS.com, and remain dedicated to the ACT UP mission of "ending the AIDS crisis through direct, non-violent action." Currently I am writing A LOTTA NERVE, a personal history of ACT UP and the HIV epidemic from the activist point of view.
More recently I have become involved in working for SINGLE PAYER government healthcare to guarantee full coverage for everyone living in the United States. Writing liner notes for CDs is a favorite gig, and among those for whom I've written them are Ella Fitzgerald, Mildred Bailey, Fred Astaire, Buddy DeFranco, Rose "Chee-Chee" Murphy, Doris Day, Artie Shaw and Barbara Cook, as well as numerous cast recordings.
Continuing to discover music that knocks me out is a neverending joy. It's what I call "living the dream." Lately Mildred Bailey, Jimmy Rushing and Count Basie are doing it for me out all over again.
- Billie Holiday - Lady In Satin
- Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - Ella & Louis, Ella & Louis Again
- Mahalia Jackson At Newport
- Duke Ellington - Jungle Music
- Helen Merrill w/Clifford Brown
- Sarah Vaughan - How Long Has This Been Going On?
- Lee Wiley - West of the Moon
- Ethel Waters - The Incomparable
- Mildred Bailey - The Complete Recordings (Mosaic)
- Jimmy Rushing - Everyday I Have The Blues, Jazz Odyssey, Cat Meets Chick
- Duke Ellington - And His Mother Called Him Bill
- Dave Brubeck Quartet - Jazz at Oberlin
- Benny Goodman & Helen Forrest - Original Recordings of the 1940s
- Ruby Braff and Ellis Larkins - Duets (Vanguard)
- Sarah Vaughan Sings George Gershwin
- Dinah Washington - Drinking Again
- Shirley Horn - HereÃ¯Â¿Â½s To Life
- Carmen McRae - Second to None
- Bill Evans - Live at the Vanguard
- Ben Webster - Atmosphere for Lovers
- Puccini TURANDOT Nilsson, Bjoerling
- Bud Shank & Bill Perkins - Fluted Columns
- Artie Shaw - Last Recordings Rare & Unreleased
- Gary Burton & Chick Corea - Crystal Silence
- James Galway - Song of the Seashore & Other Melodies of Japan
- archy and mehitabel - Carol Channing cast recording