Robert L. Protzman
A freelance jazz writer/critic and host of "Everything Jazz,'' 9 to midnight Sundays on WQLN-FM, 91.3, Erie, PA (streams at www.wqln.org).
Have written about jazz for 40 years, 31 of them with the St. Paul, MN Pioneer Press. For the last 21 years at the Pioneer Press, I was a fulltime jazz writer, one of the few on a daily newspaper in the U.S.
I've been a jazz show host off-and-on for nearly a half-century, in Erie and the Twin Cities of Minneapolis/St. Paul.
Have been a contributor off-and-on for Down Beat magazine and other publications for more than 30 years. Won numerous writing awards, covering jazz and "hard news,'' for the St. Paul Pioneer Press.
Write interviews/previews and review jazz CDs regularly these days for the Erie, PA Times-News.
- Miles Davis - "Kind of Blue''
- Ella Fitzgerald - "Ella in Berlin''
- Ahmad Jamal _ "At the Pershing''
- Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - "Moanin' '' (contains "Blues March''
- Clifford Brown & Max Roach - anything
- Count Basie Orchestra - "Atomic Basie''
- Album/CD Title