I'm a freelance writer who covers a broad spectrum of topics--pop, jazz, classical, literature, politics, history, architecture, film, and art, while publishing fiction.
My work has appeared in a range of venues: ESPN The Magazine, The New Yorker, Jazz Times, The New York Times Book Review, The Nation, ARTnews, The Times Literary Supplement, Slate, The Washington Post, The LA Times, The Guardian, The American Interest, Art in America, Cineaste, Smithsonian, MOJO, DownBeat, The American Scholar, The New Criterion, The San Francisco Chronicle, Sight and Sound, The Weekly Standard, Spin, Seattle Weekly, Vibe, Art New England, The New Statesman, Architectural Record, Fanfare, The Wilson Quarterly, Azure, Film Comment, Gramophone, and The Village Voice.
- The Beatles - The Complete BBC Sessions
- The Stone Roses - Glasgow Green
- Richard Wagner - Tristan und Isolde (Böhm, '66)
- Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch!
- Steve Reich - Early Works
- Bill Evans - Consecration
- Tina Brooks - True Blue
- Little Willie John - Talk To Me
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Requiem (Karajan, '87)
- Joy Division - Closer
- Son House - the Complete Library of Congress Sessions 1941-1942
- The Pogues - Rum, Sodomy and the Lash
- Jelly Roll Morton - Centennial-His Complete RCA Victor Recordings
- The Kinks - Something Else
- Charlie Parker - The Charlie Parker Story
- Johnny Ray - Live at the London Palladium
- Primal Scream - Screamadelica
- The Office - various sound recordings
- James Joyce - Reads
- Slaughter and the Dogs - Cranked Up Really High