Failed pianist, writer.
My Jazz Story
I was first exposed to jazz when I was about 12 or 13. It was winter and the radio in the kitchen was playing BBC Radio 4.
Ramsey Lewis was being interviewed to promote his Time Flies record. I caught about ten seconds of The In Crowd and I was
hooked. I called the BBC and spent half an hour trying to figure out the name of the album, and my parents ordered the CD
especially for me that Christmas. As a failing/very aspirational pianist, listening to him was really inspirational. He did these crazy
improvisations over Bach tunes, as well as tight-as-heck R&B grooves. I went on and discovered Dave Brubeck, Bill Evans, Herbie
Hancock, Oscar Peterson, Kenny Barron--the start of a never-ending rabbit hole!
- Jacob Collier - In My Room
- Gregory Porter - Be Good
- Julian Wassefuhr - Landed In Brooklyn
- Kenny Barron Trio - Book of Intuition
- Liane Carroll - Standard Issue
- Keith Jarrett - Köln Concert
- Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
- Sonny Rollins - The Bridge
- Ed Motta - Perpetual Gateways
- Doctor 3 - Winter Tales Live at Umbria Jazz