Kandie Le Britain Webster
Passionate and personable, Kandie Webster has been a Jazz music lover since July 2005
MY JAZZY STORY
My "jazzy life" was given birth on the last Saturday of July, 2005, at a morning workshop being led by the trio of pianist Benny Green, bassist Christian McBride, and guitarist Russell Malone.
My daughter is a college-age jazz pianist, and she was participating in the week-long Centrum/Port Townsend Jazz Festival (John Clayton, Artistic Director). My daughter and I went on stage afterwards so I could take photos of her with Benny, her favorite jazz pianist, and Christian, her favorite bass player. Neither my daughter nor I knew who the heck Russell Malone was prior to this workshop, but he was standing there wearing a bright salmon-colored polo shirt, and I asked if my daughter could get a picture with him. He obliged. We hugged. I told him I loved his cologne. I asked him what it was, but he would not tell me -- yet. He asked, "Where's lunch?" He walked with us to the cafeteria, and we've been friends ever since!
Russell Malone has changed my life, not only with his friendship but with his amazing music, and it has been an adventurous journey thus far.
I live near Seattle in Washington State and have traveled to Monterey and Oakland, California, and Moscow, Idaho, to see Russell, Benny, and other jazz artist friends such as John Clayton, Christian McBride and Jeff Hamilton.
My favorite place to go in Seattle is Jazz Alley where I have seen Christian with Pat Metheny; Branford Marsalis; John Clayton and Jeff Hamilton with Monty Alexander for their 30th Anniversary tour; and most recently the Roy Hargrove Quintet featuring Justin Robinson on sax and flute, Danton Boller on bass, Gerald Clayton on piano, and Montez Coleman on drums -- awesome musicians and human beings.
I also love the sweet soul of Roy Hargrove since meeting him at the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival in Feb. 2006. Driving the Roy Hargrove Quintet around Port Townsend this past July, 2007, was a great experience for me. Roy's music has touched my heart. I am currently editing Roy's profile page here at AAJ. Here is Roy's profile page link:
My passion is researching anything jazz and jazz guitar, especially if it is connected to the previously mentioned favorite jazz personalities. I have always enjoyed researching history anyway, and this is just an extension of that passion.
I am expanding my horizons a bit by editing Benny Green's profile page and Roberta Gambarini's, trying to include current tour dates and discography. Their profile page links are:
And because of Russell, I was introduced to Mark Mosley, jazz guitarist based in Maryland. Mark is also an artist I have enjoyed working with here at AAJ. Here is Mark's profile page link:
The newest profile page that I am proud to be associated with is a great pianist, Martin Bejerano, who tours and records not only with Russell Malone, but also Roy Haynes. Here is Martin's profile page link:
Please take time to visit Russell Malone's profile page. My goal is to help Russell Malone fans in the US and abroad connect with information about him on the internet AND in person. I hope to keep his Calendar page current with his upcoming tour dates. Here is Russell's profile page link:
Feel free to leave comments/messages in the "Comments" section on any of the artist profile pages anytime. Keep it friendly and positive, please. I love connecting with jazz music lovers, jazz guitar enthusiasts and Russell Malone fans worldwide.
"Jazz Requires MUCH Passion"
Kandie Webster in Washington State ~~ firstname.lastname@example.org
- Russell Malone - Live At Jazz Standard Volume Two (2007)
- Russell Malone - Live At Jazz Standard Volume One (2006)
- Russell Malone - Playground (2004)
- Russell Malone - Heartstrings (2001)
- Russell Malone - Look Who\'s Here (2000)
- Russell Malone - Sweet Georgia Peach (1998)
- Russell Malone - Wholly Cats (Japan) (1995/1999)
- Russell Malone - Black Butterfly (1993)
- Russell Malone - Russell Malone (1992)
- Russell Malone and Benny Green - Bluebird (2004)
- Russell Malone and Benny Green - Jazz at the Bistro (2003)
- Benny Green Trio with Russell Malone and Christian McBride - Naturally (2000)
- Benny Green Trio with Russell Malone and Christian McBride - These Are Soulful Days (1999)
- Benny Green (with Russell Malone and Ron Carter) - Kaleidoscope (1997)
- Diana Krall with Russell Malone - When I Look In Your Eyes (1999) (Grammy Winner: Vocal Jazz Performance)
- Roy Hargrove and Crisol with Russell Malone - Habana (1997) (Grammy Winner: Latin Jazz Performance)
- Roy Hargrove With Strings: Moment To Moment (2000)