For his second release, guitarist Cameron Mizell teams up with drummer Mike Fortune and keyboardist Brad Whiteley for the five song EP The EPic of Chester Bustamante. The upbeat funk and creative improvisation is heavily influenced by and draws comparisons to The Meters, John Scofield, Grant Green, and Soulive.
Shortly after recording his first album (2004's self titled Cameron Mizell) in Indiana, Mizell relocated to Brooklyn, NY. He soon began playing with drummer Mike Fortune and developing material for a trio setting. Fortune's loose and highly interactive funk style is a perfect fit for a trio and complemented Mizell's phrasing. Keyboardist Brad Whiteley rounded out the group in early 2006. His tight bass lines, spot on comping and energetic solos reinvented the bands' sound. After several months of gigging, The EPic of Chester Bustamante was recorded at The Cutting Room in New York City.
1) The Whipper": The aggressive opener features all three members of the band. It is based on a chapter from The Trial" by Franz Kafka of the same name.
2) Soulfunksticat": This dynamic and upbeat piece continually creates tension, building the energy to great heights before restating the theme and going out with a bang.
3) Thursdays": - A laid-back groove full of dirty, bluesy Hammond B3. This tune is written for those lazy fall afternoons sitting under a tree with your favorite drink.
4) Three If By Outer Space": Built around the opening bass groove, the harmonic rhythm stretches out as the piece opens into the guitar solo, creates more tension behind the organ, and then returns to the original groove for a satisfying finish.
5) Chester Bustamante": Nothing is quite as satisfying as a basic groove and simple melody. This tune starts with that concept, and wraps around a few key changes and climatic solos before vamping out on a tight, pocket groove. Dig the last minute of this one, you'll never get tired of the drumming!
Cameron Mizell - Guitar
Brad Whiteley - Hammond B3 and Moog Prodigy
Mike Fortune - Drums
For more information contact All About Jazz.