Mark Alban Lotz
Flutist, Improvisor, Composer Mark Lotz is more than just a big voice in the European jazz scene. He is at the forefront of jazz, classical and World Music and is obviously enjoying every minute of it! (Tomas Pena, Jazz.com & Latin Jazz Network) Raised in Thailand, Uganda and Germany Marks appetite for musical adventures takes him all over the globe ever since. This spans an arc of collaborations with not only in jazz but also world music, theater, performance art, visual arts, film, dance and Vj. As improviser and composer Lotz is transporting his horn into areas of contemporary music. His personal language combines esthetics and techniques of contemporary and classical music with the virility of jazz. His interpretations of Afro Cuban religious folklore, West African Fula music, Turkish free improvised music and his solo recitals particularly gained much international high acclaim. Mark maintains a busy schedule in multiple capacities as soloist, bandleader, composer, producer, teacher and curator. Seeking to capitalize on the music-hungry fanbase that developed Mark launched festivals and concert series, serving the community through the arts. Mark is passionately committed to music education and outreach, having given clinics and masterclasses around the world. Some facts:
- • Grew up in Thailand and Uganda as son of jazz researcher Dr. Rainer Lotz. Started playing flute at age of seventeen and ended up studying both jazz and classical music at the School of Arts Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Private tuition in the US. Price winner of the Karlovy Vary and Middlesea Jazz competions. 2008-2010 student of Indian Bansuri Flute at Codarts.
- Through the years Mark has performed and recorded with many unknown and many equally talented famous artists. Literally from A(rmenia) too Z(ambia). A.o. Don Byron, Chris Potter, Dave Tronzo, Carlos Zingaro, members of the Conjunto Folklorico Nacional de Cuba, Miguel "Anga" Diaz, Michael Moore, Jason Robinson & Cosmologic, Najma Akthar, Eddy Martinez, Nicky Marrero, Petar Ralchev, Amelia Pedroso, Anatol Stefanet, David Haney, Michael Vatcher, Zuco 103, Theo Lovendie, Ernst Reisegger, Han Bennink, Thomas Strønen, etc.
- Toured Festivals in Canada, USA, Moldavia, Ukraine, Russia, Suriname, Bulgaria, French Guyana, Senegal, Cuba, Egypt, China, Taiwan, Japan, Poland, Portugal, Nepal, India, Scottland, Spain, Finland, France and Turkey.
- Mark Lotz was part of the “Music: World Series” concert organisation and the free improvised music concert series "u-ex(perimental)". Curated Festivals in Holland and Taiwan. At present is director of the 'Jazz On The Sofa' Festival, VOLfest and Jazzcafé Zeist. Mark has hold masterclasses in Holland, Germany, Portugal, Turkey, Finland, Poland, Italy, Japan and Taiwan. Teaches flute at the HKU and Codarts Conservatories in the Netherlands. Read more
- Bite! by Bruce Lindsay
Take Five With...
- Istanbul Improv Sessions May 5th by Bruce Lindsay
- Istanbul Improv Sessions May 5th by Eyal Hareuveni
- Istanbul Improv Sessions May 4th by Jerry D'Souza
- Solo Flutes by Eyal Hareuveni
- The Wroclaw Sessions by Mark Corroto
- The Wroclaw Sessions by Don Phipps
January 09, 2013
Mark Alban Lotz & Meinrad Kneer CD Release "U-Ex(perimental)"
- Unprecedented phenomenon in the Dutch impro-scene. (Draaiomjeoren.com, NL)
- Ambitious composer of unique contexts. (Cadence Magazine, USA)
- Lotz opens a view into the jazz of the future. (Nieuwsblad v/h Noorden, NL)
- Mark Alban Lotz - a German-Dutch genius and flute master. (Jazz, T.Basanta, USA)
- article at latinjazz.net
- article at jazz.com
Willing to teach
Teaches flute at the Utrecht Conservatory HKU The Netherlands
Recordings: As Leader | As Sideperson
Live At JazzCase
El Negocito Records
The Wroclaw Sessions
Lop Lop Records
Evil Rabbit Records
Evil Rabbit Records