How we rate: our writers tend to review music they like within their preferred genres.
Highly improvised and experimental music can be more challenging for the listener than the musician.
When you first insert Silver Spines, you may be tricked into thinking you're having technical difficulty with your player and or disc; but this is not the case. The first selection, "Moving Through and Back Again," enters your aural arena as a succession of fragmented cornet notes which then evolves into a variety of electronic sampled sounds. The next selection features Mazurek delivering a cornet solo with clarity and purpose. This sets the musical tone for this highly conceptualized, but unpredictable recording. Other selections follow the same pattern, with a mixture of synthesized sounds interspersed with cornet solos. There are sporadic moments of abrupt silence and strange yet interesting sounds such as the electronic distorted cornet solo on "Metal Monsters Never Fail Me Now," which sounds like a blend of Miles Davis and Jimi Hendrix. As an improviser the overall concept works within the framework of the artist's vision, but the big picture may be elusive to listeners. Many of the selections would make great samples themselves for material that could be used in other film or sound recordings. The result, however, is a sound collage whose sum is no greater than its individual parts.
Track Listing: 1. Moving Through and Back Again
2. Cloth and Bells Cut 3:16-3:44, 4 Seconds of Silence.
3. Breathe and Silver Spines Contained
4. Birds Song_so Sang to Them
5. Patterns and Fixations Along the Path of Seeing Red
6. Feel Ard...Ardeel...Feeling Hard.. Falling Harder.
7. Haphazard Half Hazardous..
8. For, Love (No Burst in Beginning)
9. Through the Window There Was a Green and Blue Dress
10. Metal Monsters Never Fail Me Now
11. Composition 56 in the 4th Place and Still Looking
12. Them Sang So_song Birds
13. Remember the Time It Spun Out and Fell into Itself
14. Quietly Sleeping
15. How Time Turns in on Itself (Or) That Thought I Had Next...
16. Underwater and Trying to Find the Stars
17. Still Looking But Not Breathing
18. Love, For (Slight Burst at the Beginning)
Personnel: Rob Mazurek - cornet, moog, laptop, found sound, tubular bells.