A passionate fan of many musical genres,but especially of Jazz vocals, for over 45 years.
From: United States |
Profile Views: 7,138
I began collecting Jazz LP's and attending hundreds of live performances beginning in 1960 in New York City. I was fortunate to see live on multiple occasions, so many of Jazz' most illustrious artists, most of whom are no longer with us: John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Thelonious Monk, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, Carmen McRae, Betty Carter, Joe Williams, Mel Torme, Zoot Sims, Charles Mingus, the Modern Jazz Quartet, Art Blakey and numerous others. They lit a flame of passion for this music that caused me to be a close and fervent observer of the Jazz scene ever since.
Although I found players of great interest on all instruments, I was most drawn to tenor saxophonists, pianists, guitarists and most passionately - vocalists, particularly the great female artists.
Over the last 45+ years, I've collected & enjoyed almost 4,000 LP's, cassettes, CD's, videos and books; in addition to subscribing to & enjoying Downbeat, Jazz Times and other periodicals.
Since I retired in 2000, from a career in Information Systems, I've been free to happily concentrate on sharing with others the music I love (which includes other genres in addition to Jazz) in a variety of ways:
- participating in the Songbirds worldwide Internet group
- writing online reviews for a number of web sites
- preparing DVD presentations to various groups
- co-Hosting Radio programs showcasing my favorite artists
- producing/sponsoring selected vocalists & concerts
- serving as Officer & commitee person of my local Jazz societies
- creating special CD compilations for close friends & family.
Because of this, I'm more indebted than ever to the great artists, composers, lyricists and others in the business for the wonderful music, which has so enriched my life in retirement.