- Andrew Hill - Judgment
- Cecil Taylor - Live in the Black Forest
- Ornette Coleman - Free Jazz
- Miles Davis - Miles Smiles
- Brad Mehldau - Largo
- John Coltrane - Ascension
- Grant Green - Matador
- Albert Ayler - Live in Greenwich Village
- Frank Sinatra - Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely
- Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
Member since 2008.
Home: Cleveland Heights, OH
Profile Views: 14,511
Matt Marshall is a freelance writer based in Cleveland, OH.
I got into jazz while in college in the early 1990s. As with other art
forms (film, literature,
painting, et al.) my interest followed a steady progression toward the
avant-garde. I want to
be jarred. I can--and do--enjoy work that follows a traditional line,
but much of it feels
flimsy beside the likes of James Joyce, Jean-Luc Godard and Cecil
I am a member of the Jazz Journalists Association, former contributor to Cleveland Scene Magazine and Jazz Inside Magazine, and was the books columnist for Nectar Magazine. My fiction has appeared in various print and online journals, and my novel The Starlight Line, will be published by Red Giant Books in fall 2014. I was awarded a 2012 Creative Workforce Fellowship in Literature in Cuyahoga County, Ohio.