Comments

Sort by newest | oldest

10 Archived Comments

• James Armstrong wrote on November 15, 2012 report

Good work, Dom. Thanks for sharing these perspectives.

• Dom Minasi wrote on November 15, 2012 report

Thanks James

• Joan Wile wrote on November 15, 2012 report

Very interesting and sad story. The old dilemma: Should geniuses be tolerated despite their bad behavior? Ezra Pound, Beethoven. Degas (anti-semite). Richard Wagner (same),etc.

• Dom Minasi wrote on November 15, 2012 report

I think so Joan because if we dismiss them, the world may never have a chance to experience that genius. It's the price we pay.

• Mort Weiss wrote on November 15, 2012 report

Dom, those of us that have been around for a bit as in "up the creek and over the mountain" have met a few Borah's. DO NOT mourn for these types of people-it's not worth the giving of ones own energy's that these ass holes take from you---As most people knew-that to me Bird was the MASTER MUSICIAN as was J.S. BACH!!! But I would never have invited Bird in to my home or into my life, F**K EM! Lifes to short for more baggage to schlep around. Hey Dom! you sound like one of the good guys! Best, Mort

• Dom Minasi wrote on November 16, 2012 report

In the video section is a Borah Bergman original, Poignant Dreams, I recorded as a tribute to Borah for this article. I approach it the same way Borah might have.

Dom

• lewis radin wrote on November 19, 2012 report

Dom, thanks for this intimate view of borah. His personality comes through in his music.His passing is a loss.I hope he is at peace.
    lew

• Dom Minasi wrote on November 19, 2012 report

I'm sure he is Lewis.

• Sue Kranz wrote on December 05, 2012 report

Hi Dom,
    This is Sue Kranz, Borah's niece...I would like to correspond with you. My email is suerkranz@gmail.com.

Thanks for writing this brutally honest piece. I think you captured it incredibly accurately. He lived in Boston for the last few years of his life, but traveled, while still very sick, to Austria to perform with Michael Wimberly in October of 2010. It was always all about the music, up until the very end...

Also, where is the video you referred to?? I would LOVE to hear your version of Poignant Dream.

Thanks,
    Tearfully,
    Sue

• Jason Kao Hwang wrote on December 11, 2012 report

Mort, I've known Borah for twenty years, and while Dom is entitled to his perspective, I respectfully disagree with his characterization of Borah.

Borah encouraged and inspired many musicians like myself. He gave me constructive criticism that I never found offensive or rude. Borah's insights were tough but true, forcing me to struggle, to practice and grow.

And he held himself to those same high standards, which gave him the extraordinary focus and drive to get better. Yes, it was painful for Borah to achieve such a high level creativity and have the world largely ignore him. But also know that Borah had a great sense of humor, playfully mocking the absurdities of life and the music scene with his acerbic wit.

I salute Borah for never ever giving up. He played on the hospital piano, up to the very end.

Showcase