Comments

Sort by newest | oldest

10 Archived Comments

• Michael Ricci wrote on May 25, 2012 report

When you're creating your own shit, even the sky ain't the limit.
    --Miles Davis

Monk taught me more about music composition than anyone else on 52nd Street.
    --Miles Davis

Music is an addiction.
    --Miles Davis

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
    --Miles Davis

If they act too hip, you know they can't play shit.
    --Miles Davis

I can tell whether a person can play just by the way he stands.
    --Miles Davis

Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself.
    --Miles Davis

You have to be born with it. You can't even buy it. If you could buy it, they'd have it at the next Newport Festival.
    --Miles Davis

• Chris M. Slawecki wrote on May 26, 2012 report

yeah, "I'll play it first and tell you what it is later" has always been one of my favorites.

• Chris M. Slawecki wrote on May 26, 2012 report

i think this is pretty close to verbatim: "Monk writes such pretty little melodies, and then screws them up."

• Kirk Robert Sellman wrote on May 26, 2012 report

"The thing to judge in any jazz artist is, does the man project and does he have ideas."

"If you understood everything I say, you'd be me!"

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

"Do not fear mistakes. There are none."

• Carl L. Hager wrote on May 27, 2012 report

When we did the Bitches Brew record, he did give me some direction. He said to me, "Jack's going to play the rhythm, and I want you to play all around it. You play whatever you want to play, but I want you to play around it." And for me, that was the beginning. I've done a lot of different things with more than one drummer, and I try to create the image, the audio image, of one guy with eight arms, as opposed to two drummers. And I think it comes from Miles saying that to me.

--Lenny White

• Jeffrey Smith wrote on May 29, 2012 report

"Listen, my father's rich, my momma's good looking, and I can play the blues. I've never suffered, and don't intend to suffer...".

On playing with Bird. "He played so fast, I used to want to quit every night".

• Alan Bryson wrote on May 31, 2012 report

Dizzy Gillespie was asked why Miles walked off stage:

"How do I know why Miles walks off the stage? Why don’t you ask him? And besides, maybe we’d all like to be like Miles, and just haven’t got the guts."

--Dizzy Gillespie

Robben Ford on working with Miles:

"It was challenging to be around him, but I was able to do that. I was able to get past my shock and awe of Miles Davis, and actually be myself with him. He really liked that. That’s what he wanted from people. People would kind of cower around him. He’d walk into the room and it would be like a wet blanket, you know. Everybody would kind of stop talking and just sit there waiting for Miles to tell them what to do. So, it was kind of weird that way, but I got along really well with the guy. When I was leaving, he told me that if I ever wanted to come back, to just come back. That was the ultimate compliment."

• Lorraine Feather wrote on June 01, 2012 report

What a cool article! I think my favorite quote is "Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself." Same goes for singing.

• Jeff Dayton-Johnson wrote on June 04, 2012 report

One time I was working with Herbie at the Vanguard, and after the set I sat down at one of those chairs next to the drums. I was soaking wet. I guess the music had been satisfying. I'm sitting there dripping. I couldn't even open my eyes. Suddenly I heard this voice in my ear--"You played your ass off." I looked up and it was Miles. He startled me. The very next thing he said was, "You know, sometimes you can play behind the beat, and that shit swings. And sometimes you can play on top of the beat, and that shit swings. But sometimes you can play right over the beat, and that shit swings."

-- Billy Hart

• Michael Ricci wrote on June 05, 2012 report

Couple more...

"My ego only needs a good rhythm section."

"When you're creating your own shit man, even the sky aint the limit."

Showcase