All About Jazz: The web's most comprehensive jazz resource

Serving jazz worldwide since 1995
All About Jazz: The web's most comprehensive jazz resource

Comments

Add New Comment

No HTML. Use [b]...[/b] for bold, [i]...[/i] for italics, [u]...[/u] for underlines.

Post Reply

Sort by newest | oldest

Comments (37)

• Michael Ricci wrote on May 09, 2012 report

If you have any questions about the service, please PM me. Uploading 50 events takes literally seconds.

• Michael Ricci wrote on May 10, 2012 report

Also, make sure you have an exact match on the venue and/or festival name. If you're not 100% certain, please look up the name here: http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/guide_center.php

• Michael Ricci wrote on May 15, 2012 report

I received this from a member friend:

I upload the dates for my artists through a couple of places including Google or ReverbNation for feeding Facebook, etc. However the main place I feed is Pollstar whose concert database is VERY thorough. This can be a time consuming area for agents, managers and artists. Everyone has different formats.

My reply:

I understand everyone has different formats and there are currently no concert data format standards in the music industry. I've also found that many aggregators do not validate their data (allowing users to enter information in the wrong boxes on a submission form). AAJ does validate data and we need the venue to exist (with a zip code or city/country) in our database so we can present the events in our local calendar at the website and include them in our weekly local concert calendar email blast.

• Michael Ricci wrote on May 15, 2012 report

We created the CSV upload service because it's easy to create the file and it takes seconds to upload to AAJ.

The only condition for uploading events is the venue must exist in our database. If it doesn't, you need add it.

We do not have a staff to enter dates or enter business listings. As a crowd-sourced website, that onus falls on the business community and musicians.

Also, this is the only service of its kind in jazz. Our NYC email list includes nearly 11,000 addresses and it's growing by the day. "

• Michael Ricci wrote on May 15, 2012 report

Feel free to email me your CSV file up until March 30th and I'll take care of the first upload for you.

• Maxim Micheliov wrote on May 15, 2012 report

Well written, Michael! I shared on my FB wall, because this is something every jazz musician should be aware of.

• Michael Ricci wrote on May 15, 2012 report

Thanks, Max.

We just need to make more folks aware of our calendar service and I think Jazz Near You will help big time..

• Michael Ricci wrote on May 17, 2012 report

Some folks are making this way more complicated than it is. You only need nine columns (tops) and the columns need to be separated by a comma. You should also place the participating musicians within double quotes like this "Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock, Jack DeJohnette". Check out the Google doc by clicking the link above to get the template, then create one row at a time. Save the file as a CSV (file type), then upload it via our form. The upload itself will take a couple of seconds.

• Michael Ricci wrote on May 18, 2012 report

If you have any questions, please contact me, and not the other staff members. They know as much as you do about this service and they will simply refer you to me. Thanks.

• Joey Berkley wrote on May 25, 2012 report

When I download the file as a csv it is read-only, so I cannot edit. Please advise. Thanks-Joey Berkley

• Michael Ricci wrote on May 26, 2012 report

Hi Joey, see my PM.

For all others, you may need to "Save as" or "Save a Version" of the Google CSV file prior to replacing the sample events with your events.

• Michael Ricci wrote on June 04, 2012 report

I received a recent PM that the event submission form was difficult to find. Well it's not.

To submit single dates or recurring dates, drag your mouse over "Calendar" on the navigation bar and click "Submit Show."

• david louis wilson wrote on June 07, 2012 report

I just wrote a request to change the jazz listings from my old home in Mpls. to my new home in NYC. They have apparantly disappeared in the ether. Your site isn't very "user-friendly" with providing instructions. I'm beginning to suspect that you don't read these comments and like them as wallpaper.

• Michael Ricci wrote on June 08, 2012 report

Hi David,

Thanks for the positive waves. Seeing how I posted nine times in this thread (this being my tenth), ah, yeah, I read them.

AAJ is actually a simple site to use, but you have to use it a few times to get the hang of it (just like any other site).

YOU WROTE:

I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying you changed your address information associated with your member account? Please clarify.

• Michael Ricci wrote on June 11, 2012 report

David, I'm beginning to suspect that you don't read these comments. ;-)

• Judi Silvano wrote on July 11, 2012 report

Hello, I need to revise a venue address, I submitted on your site. I need to remove the street address for the Cathy segal-garcia venue. Please let me know how, or if you could correct that would be great. Judi Silvano silvano@hvc.rr.com

• David Flora wrote on July 21, 2012 report

I have tried numerous times to add John Marshall event for Sunday, August 12. I have gotten error messages that say the venue does not exist, when it does exist. It says the festival does not exist, add it, I try to add it and I get the same error message. I'm not sure what errors I may be making to cause my event not to be accepted by your systems.
    Thank you for your help! David Flora dvflor4@aol.com

• Michael Ricci wrote on July 23, 2012 report

david, see my private message.

• Michael Ricci wrote on July 23, 2012 report

i also deleted two posts that included event information. please do not post your event information to the comment thread associated with this article. rather, submit your events here: www.allaboutjazz.com/php/event_edit.php

• Cuco Lopez Revillas wrote on August 03, 2012 report

comment: i have the same problem as david flora, see comment below....i'm just trying to add my event....

• Michael Ricci wrote on August 04, 2012 report

Cuco and David,

If you get a "venue does not exist" message, try one of two things:

Hit shift refresh on the event submission form page. The venue should now appear in the auto complete box.

--or--

Go to the venue page (by searching here: www.allaboutjazz.com/php/jazzguides.php?type=7), then scroll to the bottom where the calendar is located and click the "Submit Show" link.

• Gerry Sanders wrote on August 04, 2012 report

"Yes. Just click the "Update or Delete Show" link on the event's detail page."

Where on the page is this button?

• Michael Ricci wrote on August 05, 2012 report

Gary,

Scroll down. The "Delete Show" button is to the right of the "Update Show" button.

• adrian dwyer wrote on August 23, 2012 report

you've made it too difficult. Sorry guys, went elsewhere to list the gig

• Michael Ricci wrote on September 04, 2012 report

Adrian,

Where are you having difficulty?

Single events should take you less than a minute to add. CSV upload requires some upfront work to establish the columns, but that is simple too.

I'm not sure "going elsewhere" really benefits you in the end.

Let me know how I can help.

• Christopher Buttner wrote on September 06, 2012 report

As a recommendation, I think AllAboutJazz.com would best serve it's audience by modeling their event and artist entry system after this brilliant website. localmusicvibe.com/

• Michael Ricci wrote on September 13, 2012 report

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for posting.

localmusicvibe.com is a nice looking website and I'll certainly spend time exploring it in greater detail.

Just so everyone knows, we're launching Jazz Near You later this month, and as we approach the launch date we're improving every facet of our events calendar technology (from data entry to content syndication). I'll see if I can pluck some ideas from Local Music Vibe between now and then.

In important calendar related news, we made the following improvements earlier this week:

We relaxed the CSV file upload rules. All events are now uploaded regardless of a venue match. If city and state are included, we'll determine longitude and latitude so your events will still appear in our local calendar, our weekly email blast and our phone app.

We've improved the flow of submitting a single event. We now invoke an overlay window if you attempt to submit an event when the venue is not listed in our database.

Bug Fix

We fixed the email notification bug on the event submission form. Now addresses included in the notification box are emailed the event information.

• Gerry Sanders wrote on October 02, 2012 report

Michael,

I want to post a csv file that includes several musicians who do not seem to have an AllAboutJazz profile; I am reluctant to add their names to the db as that is none of my business. What should I do?

One is So and So, who is listed as So and So Quartet. What should I do?

Thanks,
    Gerry

• Michael Crutcher wrote on October 12, 2012 report

I just want to enter one event, but the "Add Event" link brings me to my Account Settings. What's up with that?

• Steven wrote on October 26, 2012 report

I have tried to down this but having a challenge
    Stevs

• Shirley Crabbe wrote on December 07, 2012 report

Hi Michael,
    I had a problem uploading a event today - It posted the wrong information - even though what i loaded was correct - How do I fix that? Thanks
    Shirley Crabbe

• Michael Ricci wrote on December 14, 2012 report

Hi Shirley,

Can you send me an instant/private message (just click my name next to my avatar). Include a link to the event page and let me know what went wrong.

Thanks.

• Michael Ricci wrote on December 14, 2012 report

If you are trying to submit an event and you are being redirected to your member account page, please see this page...

news.allaboutjazz.com/news.php?id=100606

• Dan Hugos wrote on December 14, 2012 report

I misspelled "Spectrum" as "Sectrum" and am not clear how to edit that. The event is on 1/18/2013 if you can possibly take care of that.

By the way, a pretty easy upload process, especially if you just take a copy of that Google Doc for submitting events. Many thanks.

• Chuck Manning wrote on January 02, 2013 report

The edit event link takes me to the AAJ home page. So I can't edit it.

• sedchouk wrote on January 04, 2013 report

Hi Michael, first all the best for the New Year!
    Then, here's the message I get when I try to open the the csv file on my mac, to upload events: "cannot open files in the “Script Editor.app Document” format.".
    I hope you can help.
    Thanks so much for everything!
    Sedric

• margaret richardson wrote on January 11, 2013 report

I have followed all directions but cannot upload my .csv file?