Comments

Sort by newest | oldest

9 Archived Comments

• Chuck Koton wrote on April 18, 2012 report

John, what a beautiful piece about what was clearly an unforgettable experience.

• John Kelman wrote on April 18, 2012 report

Thanks Chuck, it truly was....
    Best!
    John

• Ezra Mazwai wrote on April 19, 2012 report

Well rounded reporting, although I was also expecting comment about the Brubecks who also gave a stellar perfomance and the rich history behind this family including Darius's South African connection.

• John Kelman wrote on April 19, 2012 report

Hi Ezra,
    Unfortunately, because of the way the festival runs and the rather chaotic disorganization with respect to getting into venues to shoot photos, I saw far fewer shows than I'd have liked. The Brubecks were on my list, but it just didn't work out.

• Dave Kaufman wrote on April 22, 2012 report

John, a truly great piece! It certainly sounds like you had an amazing experience in many respects. Cape Town may be the most beautiful city that I have had the pleasure to visit. There's a burgeoning local jazz scene with some great young players. It's good to know that some of them were featured at the Fest.

I was particularly impressed with a relatively young pianist/sax player Mark Fransmen.

• Alan Bryson wrote on April 22, 2012 report

Fitting that this was up for Earth Day, made me green (with envy ;)

• John Kelman wrote on April 23, 2012 report

Thanks for taking the time to write, Alan (sorry!) and Dave (you told me it was the most beautiful city and I have to agree!)....
    Cheers!
    John

• Lloyd N. Peterson Jr. wrote on April 24, 2012 report

Hey John, what a great article that reflects culture and the human spirit just as the best music does. Definitely one of my favorite pieces of yours as there are many. What a wonderful trip.

• John Kelman wrote on April 24, 2012 report

Hey Lloyd,
    Thanks for taking the time to write. And for such kind words :)

It was a trip of a lifetime, and I feel honored, privileged and just flat-out shocked and stunned that I was given the opportunity to do it.

Best!