All About Jazz: The web's most comprehensive jazz resource

Serving jazz worldwide since 1995
All About Jazz: The web's most comprehensive jazz resource

Comments

Add New Comment

No HTML. Use [b]...[/b] for bold, [i]...[/i] for italics, [u]...[/u] for underlines.

Post Reply

Sort by newest | oldest

Comments (6)

• joel zelnik wrote on February 22, 2012 report

Dom, Your assessments are on target. I've never given away my talents for free. The door mentality is fueled by musicians, who unfortunately have never "circled the wagons" when livelehoods were threatened. We are our worst enemies when it comes to demanding a professional wage.

Unfortunately, the jazz scene is so inundated with players coming out of music schools for non existent work. Self promotion/producing helps, but the situation for live music and especially jazz is dire, and the jazz media promotes so much substandard music that would never get past an Ed Beach or Bob Perkins is played. Thanks for bringing up this dirty linen that needs to be cleaned. Unfortunately, if your product is priced at the bottom (or worse -fee) there's no wiggle room, and the club/restaurant owner has no need to negotiate, especially when there are hordes of musicians banging down the doors to give away their "talent" for free.

• Dom Minasi wrote on February 22, 2012 report

Thanks for posting Joel it is well appreciated.

• Danny Barrett wrote on February 22, 2012 report

..Hi Dom, I have been posting on facebook about this subject. I will continue. I'll try posting this on facebook, too....thanks for your support.....Victor Wooten, sent a letter out,talking about this same subject. If we don't support each other..."What's the Point" kindly, Danny Barrett

• Dom Minasi wrote on February 22, 2012 report

Thanks Danny

• Dom Minasi wrote on June 13, 2012 report

Apparently there will be a resolution between the University of The Streets and musicians who played there. This is the venue I mention in my article where a musician (Kevin Shea)was assaulted in an argument over money.

The Agreement consists of two parts:
    1. University of the Streets agreed to:
    - End its "pay to play" policy, which required bands to pay the club in the event of low turnout
    (note: the club reserves the right to cancel concerts in which no audience members show up).
    - Permanently bar the employee involved in the violent attack from the venue.
    - Try to foster a professional and musician-friendly atmosphere in the venue.
    - Remove negative statements about Kevin Shea from their website.

• Mort Weiss wrote on September 18, 2012 report

Yeah Ma man Dom! I couldent have said it better ( and you know how to cpell) Never feel sorry for any of the old guys/giants of jazz as they got to play!!! You and I both know that it takes cats working together 5/6 nights a week in the same room and at least 3 rehershals a week before you go into a studio to record- and by then every one is so locked in to the tunes that ya all can anticipate whats coming on a cats solo and enhance it with ones own thing--every body played for each other! Dom most of these articles that we all of us write is preaching to the choir---I dunno Dom. I'm not jivin when I say I'm really glad that I'm an OLD guy and apparently out of the so calle loop of things. My new album will be out late october /early november and I would love send you one I'm extremly happy with it and i strongly feel that I'll be rememberd for it and the world wide acclaimed solo album "Raising the Bar" best to you and yours. Mort