All About Jazz: The web's most comprehensive jazz resource

Serving jazz worldwide since 1995
All About Jazz: The web's most comprehensive jazz resource

Comments

Add New Comment

No HTML. Use [b]...[/b] for bold, [i]...[/i] for italics, [u]...[/u] for underlines.

Post Reply

Sort by newest | oldest

Comments (6)

• Mark Weinstein wrote on December 18, 2011 report

Thank you Dan for including El Cumbanchero with so many great records in your Best Releases of 2011. Mark

• Dave Sumner wrote on December 18, 2011 report

I'm also glad to see Mark Weinstein's album get a mention on somebody's list. El Cumbanchero almost made mine as well. It's such a sadistic process creating these lists, the pain of who I have to leave off far outweighing the joy of who gets put on, lol.

• Dan Bilawsky wrote on December 18, 2011 report

Mark-You're Welcome!

Dave-I completely agree with you. I also feel torn because I limit the list to albums I've reviewed. I've encountered so many other great albums that I didn't write about (i.e. Ambrose Akinmusire's Blue Note debut and the Stevie Wonder set from the SFJAZZ Collective), but one has to draw the line somewhere. I can say, without reservation, that every album above has opened new musical worlds for me and I continue to go back to each and every one of them.

• Mark F. Turner wrote on December 18, 2011 report

Dan, This list brings back some very fond memories: especially of the Christian X Variations. It smokes.

• Randy Klein wrote on December 18, 2011 report

Dan,

Thank you for including Mark Weinstein's 'El Cumbanchero' in your 10 TEN for 2011. We are very proud of this CD and all of the music on Jazzheads.
    Best wishes,
    Randy Klein

• Dan Bilawsky wrote on December 19, 2011 report

Mark-I couldn't agree more about Christian X Variations. I can't quite figure out why that one didn't get more attention from the jazz press.

Randy-You're welcome!