Comments

Sort by newest | oldest

8 Archived Comments

• Wayne Bognar wrote on December 14, 2011 report

Great list. Thanks for sharing.

No Miles Davis Quintet Bootleg, Volume 1?

Not quite sure how to categorize that release.

LWayne

• John Kelman wrote on December 14, 2011 report

Hey Wayne. If I didn't review it, I don't consider it. It's terrific, but because two other guys covered, I didn't, and that's always a criteria for selection. Sorry...but it is terrific! It would fall, in my case, into Jazz Reissues & Historical Releases, as it's a historical release...a previously unissued live set from a legacy band, which is the criteria there.

Hope the rest of the list was to your liking!
    Cheers!
    John

• Dan Bilawsky wrote on December 14, 2011 report

Great list! I've been enjoying James Farm, Ninety Miles and the SFJAZZ Collective set (I saw them at Jazz Standard during the week they recorded it) for a while. I'll definitely be checking out the Charles Lloyd and Frisell ASAP. Thanks for sharing!

• John Kelman wrote on December 15, 2011 report

Thanks Dan...from you, all the more meaningful a complement! You have to check out the Lloyd, seriously, one of his best in recent years. And the Frisell? Well, it's Frisell, it's John Lennon....a great match. Check out his recent Download Series #15 (will review early in year)..with Beautiful Dreamers Trio, and, amongst other things, great takes on Strawberry Fields and Give Peace a Chance! Happy holidays, look forward to workin' with ya in 2012; best wishes to you and yours for a happy, healthy and creative new year!

• Dan McClenaghan wrote on December 15, 2011 report

Great choices, John. I've been spinning Enrico Rava's Tribe for a couple of weeks now, and can't get enough of it. I have to check out Craig Taborn's Avenging Angel. I've heard a lot of him but never solo.

Paul Simon is an interesting pick. I've been a fan of his since the 60s, when his two top forty radio hits, "Sounds of Silenece" and "I Am a Rock" came out.

I love these "end of year" lists. I find music I've overlooked

• John Kelman wrote on December 15, 2011 report

Thanks, Dan. Taborn's disc is truly spectacular, and since you're a piano guy... :)

I've been a fan that long, too. The new one is as good as always. I just don't think he puts out duds. Even when they're unexpected, like his 2006 collaboration with Brian Eno, Surprise.

• Hutchinson wrote on December 18, 2011 report

Thanks, John. I always look forward to your year end list. Are there any other notables from the ECM catalog you recommend? I'm enjoying Rruga, Faithful, and Skala.

• John Kelman wrote on December 18, 2011 report

Thanks Hutchinson. Alas, am currently in Tallinn for closing ceremonies of European Capital of Culture 2011, so not a lot of time. What to recommend from ECM, other than on this list? Well, others that made the short list, in addition to the three you mentioned, were the Konitz/Mehldau/Haden/Motian, the Battaglia, Corea/Bollani, Couturier, Brederode and Fresu. Cheers! John

Showcase