All About Jazz: The web's most comprehensive jazz resource

Serving jazz worldwide since 1995
All About Jazz: The web's most comprehensive jazz resource

Comments

Add New Comment

No HTML. Use [b]...[/b] for bold, [i]...[/i] for italics, [u]...[/u] for underlines.

Post Reply

Sort by newest | oldest

Comments (12)

• Robert Bush wrote on October 20, 2011 report

Brilliant and expansive reflection on a tragic genius.To me,the electic bass died with Jaco, unfair, I know, as there have been mighty contributions from Jamaaladeen Tacuma and Steuart Leibeg, but that's how I feel. I will never forget standing in a magazine shop and spotting the Musician Magazine with "Requiem For Jaco" across the cover, and reading Milkowski's devastating news. R.I.P., Jaco.

• John Kelman wrote on October 20, 2011 report

Thanks, as always, for the kind words. I was very lucky to hear about and score this box; it really brings everything back into perspective!

Best!
    John

• orange moon wrote on October 20, 2011 report

I love this!!!!!!!

• Ross Boissoneau wrote on October 22, 2011 report

I remember where I was for what were some of my life's momentous events: Neil Armstrong landing on the moon, Magic Johnson retiring from the NBA, and finding out that the World's Greatest Bass Player had died in Rolling Stone. I first saw Jaco with Blood, Sweat & Tears, then twice with Weather Report. His amazing playing has not yet been duplicated, though Brian Bromberg comes close - his album Jaco is amazing. We're left to hear what Jaco left us and wonder what might have been. The former is wonderful, the latter so sad.

• John Kelman wrote on October 22, 2011 report

Hi Ross,
    Thanks for taking the time to share those experiences.

• mark fogarty wrote on October 24, 2011 report

Beautifully done. Shame Warner-J couldn't have teamed with Epic to have included "Jaco Pastorius" here and retired "Invitation" (though it is one cranking album. I have yet to hear "Twins" but assume it contains all of Invitation). I remember when Phil Ochs' two record companies beautifully collaborated on a retrospective multi-set (and eerie that Phil had the same disease as Jaco, and died at the same absurdly young age). I believe Jaco, while well remembered for his playing chops, has yet to get full credit for his writing and arranging (you give him the right props here). "Word of Mouth" was as exciting to listen to the first time as "Sketches of Spain" for me! One note, I believe "Domingo" is one of Jaco's earliest compositions rather than a new one as you suggest. Shows how precocious he was right out of the box!

• John Kelman wrote on October 24, 2011 report

Thanks for taking the time to write, Mark, and for the kind words. In Warner's defense, and without knowing, it's just as likely Sony was not interested in working it out. Hard to know, unfortunately, what went on behind the scenes.

Twins does, indeed, contain all of Invitation (and then some, considerably).

I'm with you on Jaco not being remembered enough as a writer, though amongst musicians that doesn't seem to be the case; more amidst media (shame on us!) and fans, who were understandably overwhelmed by his remarkable playing.

Well, re: Domingo, it may have been an old one, but this was the first time it appeared on a commercial release, thus "new." Still, I'll check and if it's ambiguous, will fix. Thanks for the catch, and again, for taking the time to write in and share.

Best!
    John
    EDIT: I just checked Domingo, and I wasn't ambiguous, I was flat-out wrong. I've corrected it, and hope you don't mind my using your adjective ("precocious") to describe it. Thanks again, Mark!

• mark fogarty wrote on October 25, 2011 report

John- glad to be of help! It is kind of amazing how young jaco was when he was composing killer songs like A Portrait of Tracy and Continuum as a teenager- I guess the word is genius! I look forward to Jaco's 60th birthday parties being planned in CA, FL and London in addition to the cranking six CD set you reviewed- I plan a very modest one of my own at the poetry/music reading I emcee in NJ.

• John Kelman wrote on October 25, 2011 report

Hi again, Mark. Cool on all counts! If you want to announce your event, you can submit a news item to our news center: http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/news_edit.php

You'd be surprised how many people it'll reach :)

Best!
    John

• mark fogarty wrote on November 03, 2011 report

thanks, maybe I will! I've since learned of two more Jaco 60th birthday parties- one in mumbai and one at the Blue Note Tokyo. Also, I had a short e-mail exchange with the Anya who was the subject of Jaco's beautiful piece "Good Morning Anya," She was (and is) Jaco's niece, and while she appreciates peoples' interest in her as the subject of the song, she values her privacy and can't be FaceBook friends with all of Jaco's many millions of fans! The performance of "Anya" on "Live in NYC Vol. 5" is quite touching as it is the period of Jaco's sad decline, but he's still great. He's kind of mumbling to himself when out comes this beautiful piece on the piano!

• mark fogarty wrote on November 16, 2011 report

John- I got in this time! Wanted to tell you I saw the Jaco Big Band in Florida and Peter Graves told about the first time he met Jaco, just after his time with Wayne Cochran so he's 19 or 20. He brings in the chart to "Domingo" for the audition. "The next sound you heard was everybody's jaw hitting the ground," Graves said. Now I had my earplugs in but I think what he said next was that Jaco composed the song on his daughter's toy piano! Jaco was married at 18 and a father at 19 so this is possible. It's another great story anyway!

• John Kelman wrote on November 16, 2011 report

Thanks for keeping those stories coming, Mark! :)