All About Jazz: The web's most comprehensive jazz resource

Serving jazz worldwide since 1995
All About Jazz: The web's most comprehensive jazz resource

Comments

Add New Comment

No HTML. Use [b]...[/b] for bold, [i]...[/i] for italics, [u]...[/u] for underlines.

Post Reply

Sort by newest | oldest

Comments (10)

• Mort Weiss wrote on July 27, 2012 report

Complete unadulterated CRAP!! meanlingnes-unimagenitive-and an aberation to be given a voice on a great JAZZ SITE. mort

• Chris May wrote on July 28, 2012 report

Do you mean this album? Or your critical response?

• Bruce Lindsay wrote on July 28, 2012 report

I must admit, I'm not as big a fan of this album as Chris clearly is - The Necks do much more for me, although I do enjoy the atmosphere Splashgirl creates.

I am all in favour of constructive criticism, but saddened by the destructive, ill-judged and unsubstantiated 'critique' offered by Mr Weiss. Doubly so, as it appears to come from another musician. I note that Mr Weiss is regularly commenting in this fashion on numerous AAJ articles - he does himself no favors with this approach. Perhaps his account has been hacked? I kind of hope so.

• Mort Weiss wrote on September 28, 2012 report

Chris, Very funny---ah -yeh! Hey Bruce, if i would have approched the subject in another way using academic phyco bable -then it would have been palitable for your------Taste--yeah sure eg "you hope my account has been hacked--what the hell does that mean-----wait a moment---uh huh--oh ya O K i'm back with you - I just looked at your profile and saw the THINGS that you like and listen to--yeahhhh now I understand where your comming from----another guy from the CLASS OF 65! bruce-Chris---enjoy the moment. I remain, Mort Weiss

• John Kelman wrote on September 28, 2012 report

Nothin' wrong with the class of '65, Mort..or, in my case, '56. What I'll say on this front is what I often tell writers: we're not the arbiters of what is good or bad, we're the arbiters of what we like.

Mort, have you ever picked up something, thought "what a load of horse puckies," then put it away and some time later, maybe even years, come back to it and went "holy crap, this is incredible!" since nothing has changed with the music, it means that you've changed. And that means rendering comments like "complete unadulterated crap" just make ya look bad. Not that you shouldn't be able to say the music doesn't move ya if it doesn't. But "crap"? A little harsh. I happen to know the guys in Splashgirl, ex-students of the renowned Trondheim Jazz Conservatory and studious players (pianist Andreas Stensand Lowe, for example, has studied with Misha Alperin) who are working a concept. You may not dig it, but that doesn't make it crap. It just means ya don't dig it.

I hated Bitches Brew when it came out; ditto, Ornette Coleman did zero for me. Events occurred decades later where one day they both made sense to me, now I love 'em. I guess what i'm trying to say is that, beyond "one man's poop is another man's treasure," we always need to be somewhat humble about our opinions, because if they can change, as they can do, then while it's ok to render 'em, in a public forum it's always a good idea to be a little more, ehm, judicious about how you do it :)

Warmest regards...
    John

• Mort Weiss wrote on September 28, 2012 report

Then John-what you're saying is when one comes upon a train wreck that the visceral feeling that said calamity initiates should be thought about any and all possible ramifications that might incur if one purley acts and describes said scene be fore letting ones REAL FEELINGS speak out?? I'm sorry but when I come accross a turd I can not/will not call it a CROISSANT!! I have spent a lifetime the better part of my 77years working-going with out paying enormous dues that you chaps couldn't imagine to learn-promote -make some sort of a living and maintain the integrty of THE MUSIC -I know IT and people like me are on the way out---(and in this respect) i'll be happy not being here to to see the barbarians once again (as done through out history ) prevail! After J S Bachs' death-nothing of his was published for 50 years---(he was to old fashend)

History (if there is one ) will be the final arbertrater on the arts of today-Thats the house that im playing to Not to todays tepid moans and groans of attempts to to improve the wheel--yes i know guys -nothing should be done for the first time! Well maybe-just maybe some things should be left alone and be catagrized as the end and final result of that dicipline! going on to another but severing all links and references to the original creation. John-Chris-Bruce im truly sorry if in any way I've offended any of you---was not my intent!! But as in playing Jazz one must find their own voice and be true to certain core values of the Music -the music being a microcosim of all of the inneractions and dynamics of the world we live in!

Genlemen, please do me (and possibly your selves a favor) please take the time to listen to some Lester young-Billie Holiday- Bill Evans & Bird. then immedeatly -listen to Splash Girl. Pressure--I think being the intellegnt men that i feel that your are--well, my point will have been made.respectfuly, Mort Weiss

• John Kelman wrote on September 28, 2012 report

You've not offended me at all, mort. My only point is that a sometimes...sometimes...our reaction at one moment in time is different from another. I tried to give you two examples - ornate and miles- that I thought.tou could relate to.

Personally, I can go back and listen to Lester, Ella, Billie, whatever....I,ll love 'em Mort, no doubt. But it won't make me like splashgirl any less. Apples and oranges, man, apples and oranges, and I see no reason why I cannot like 'em all. Not saying you have to, just that I'm very cautious about calling anything crap if it's well-conceived and well-executed, even if it doesn't move me.

Splashgirl, however, does move me. Have seen them live three or four times in the past four years, and they're growing each and every time. I'm not going to make any apologies for liking them either. You don't have to...but I think you are being absolutely unfair by suggesting they are crap. Again, not everything we like is good, and not everything we don't like is crap. Sometimes, mort, we just like it..or not. And there IS a difference.
    Best!
    John

• Mort Weiss wrote on September 28, 2012 report

O K john, Lets see if I can offend you. Im doing a little research on splash girls- just to see if one of us needs to see some body---sooo please answer this queston for me-I just watched a you tube it was titled U C B SPLASH GIRL-is this the group that were talking about? Please get back to me on this John. Best Mort

• Mort Weiss wrote on September 28, 2012 report

John disregard my last comment -I checked the vidieo- yes it's the same one that upset me that it was given space on a great site that AAJ is. Oh yeah it's the one that I saw & heard--for most of US, beauty IS in the eyes and EARS of the beholder-to give these people a voice on AAJ does a disservice to the geshstult that encompasses JAZZ from Buddy Boldon to Trane and the tens of thousands of musicians that have worked and suffered to give a people their collective -creative intermost feelings with the language being that of tone/sound & rhytm-Blood -sweat & tears if you will!

John, you used Ornette " thinking that I would relate ) Please read the two articles that are archived here at AAJ that i wrtoe about the emproeors (ornette) new clothes. John, lets get on with our lives- i respectivly submit that you have the absoulte right to find something of beauty and favor in ANYTHING that you see and choose to do such---and it's very obvious that we come from two different frames of references-and that being the case--I ask you to PLEASE alow me the freedom of perception to call something that percieve as CRAP--to call it just that. John, since you are obvisuley a learned man- why should my observations distress you so?? (how does the line read?) " Me thinks that thou doth protest to much. I hope we are able to meet one day soon and I'll buy the first beer. Best, Mort p s Chris, see what you started:))

• Mort Weiss wrote on October 11, 2013 report

Well then there now!!! this was only a little over a year ago (I stumbled on this accidentally) Hmmmm--the hormones were flowing-weren't they--

As I approach 80 years of age I seem to be a more Kinder gentler person-and one that has learned how to activate CPELL CHECK :)

I'll run these comments up the flag post and lets see who or what gets the most salutes! Salutations ----Mort