Comments

Sort by newest | oldest

10 Archived Comments

• Tom Marcello wrote on December 16, 2010 report

Sorry to say that the only release I've heard here is Tommy Smith's "Torah"", which I think is a masterpiece.

• John Kelman wrote on December 16, 2010 report

Well, Tom, then there's a lot here for you to check out, isn't there?

And yes, Tommy's album is absolutely stunning, certainly the best playing I've ever heard on record.

• Mike Jacobs wrote on December 16, 2010 report

I like and concur with a lot of your list (especially Ranjit Barot). Mine would have to include Nik Bartsch's Ronin's new release "Llyria", Kneebody's "You Can Have Your Moment," and Snarky Puppy's "Tell Your Friends."

• Dan McClenaghan wrote on December 16, 2010 report

Interesting list, John. There are a few here I'm going to have to pick up. And Dave Liebman had a helluva year. His "Turnaround" and the Contact set. Great sounds...

• John Kelman wrote on December 16, 2010 report

Thanks for commenting, Mike and Dan. Llyria was on the shortlist, but if I included it and a couple more, it would have looked like "best of the ECM 2010 releases" :) So I had to make a couple cuts. But I love the disc.

Yeah, Dan, Dave has had a great year....and there's a lot here you should check out, for sure. Let me know if you have any questions.

Best to both!
    John

• Dan Bilawsky wrote on December 19, 2010 report

Great list John! I enjoyed the Contact disc and the Paul Motian! I couldn't really get into the Scofield/Mendoza project (maybe I need to give it another listen).

I'm amazed by how much product Dave Liebman is putting out. I think I'll have to check out some more of it.

Your "best of" and "best of live" lists inspired me to check out Jaga Jazzist's "One-Armed Bandit." I just got it on Friday and, while it's a bit outside of my normal listening habits, I really like it!

• John Kelman wrote on December 19, 2010 report

Hey Dan.
    Thanks! Glad you liked Contact. 54 means a lot for me because I got into Vince with his early records, where Sco was a guest, so this was something of a reunion for them....and I! Give it some more time....maybe it'll grow on ya. And also glad you liked the Motian. It's a wonderful new trio for him, and hopefully all the critical and popular acclaim will encourage him to keep it going.

Jaga is a monster...and even more so live! Glad you're trying some things outside your normal habits...it's how we grow our ears....by stretching them....
    It's what I live for! :)

Dave L is simply a monster in terms of his activity level. Watch out for my interview with him running the week of Jan 11, when he receives the NEA Jazz Masters award and we'll be running a week of free downloads - a different one each day, from a different project. So you'll get a chance to hear a broad cross-section.

Best!
    John

• Rob Waxman wrote on December 20, 2010 report

I would have included for fusion: The Stanley Clarke Band featuring Hiromi.
    Lenny White-Anomaly
    John McLaughlin & The 4th Dimension-To The One
    Bombastic Meatbats-More Meat
    Billy Cobham-Palindrome
    Nguyen Le-Saiyuki
    and in its own category: Pat Metheny-Orchestrion
    I don't know how many were reviewed here, but here they are, in any case.
    Happy holidays to everyone.

• John Kelman wrote on December 20, 2010 report

Hey Rob, a couple comments on your choices:
    Pat's record came close, real close....but even with this big a list, had to stop somewhere!

So did To the One - best McL disc in a long time, but same problem.

Lenny's disc? Have to say I was a little underwhelmed, but that the material from the disc kicked ass live at the New Universe Music Fest. Richie Goode, Tom Guarna, Jimmy Herring and Vince Evans were amazing!

Love Nguyen, and Saiyuki's a great disc, but not amongst my faves of his. Still, even a less favorite from Nguyen ain't at all bad...

Haven't heard Palindrome

Stanley Clarke Band did not do much for me, sorry to say, a little heavy on flash on less on substance, and I really did not like the rework of "No Mystery." Four-on-the-floor just didn't seem like the right idea.

But hey, each to their own and I certainly have high regard for three of your five choices, and need to check out the one I've not heard - hey, if you like it, I sure oughta do so!

Thanks for taking the time to post, and happy holidays!
    John

• Sunna Gunnlaugs wrote on January 07, 2011 report

Thanks for the lists. Neat that you have a "new discoveries" category. I'm really interested in hearing Kuara. I have one of Samuli Mikkonen's albums w/Jormin and Kleive which I really dig. Norma Winstone's new album looks intriguing also.

Showcase