Comments

Sort by newest | oldest

6 Archived Comments

• Randi Karstad wrote on July 19, 2010 report

Beautiful piece, John, -I'll keep reading.

• John Kelman wrote on July 19, 2010 report

Thanks Randi! Wait'll you see my pix from the train from Dombas to Andalsnes! :)

• Robert Bush wrote on July 24, 2010 report

Great, writing, great subject, John, I envy you. ECM recordings have been my lifeblood (moreso in the 70's and 80's) since I began listening to jazz. I've always been fascinated by their engineers- Konshaug; and Weiland, as well as their studios. Thanks for a great piece that illuminates many of the finer points of both. Robert Bush

• John Kelman wrote on July 24, 2010 report

Wow, Robert, thanks so much for writing! Last day of the trip today and while I've had more fun than I should be allowed, it's time to get back home to my wife and dog.... :)

But I'll be back to Norway in five weeks for Punkt, so not that long!
    Best!
    John

• Laima Slepkovaite wrote on August 06, 2011 report

Great article, I use it for my work! Thank you lot people for picking such fine musicmakers and spreading some word about them.

A little note: the teacher of Helge Lien was Misha Alperin, not 'Michel Perrin'.

• John Kelman wrote on August 06, 2011 report

Hi Laima,
    Thanks for the kind words and the correction, which I'll make. I am very familiar with Misha A, so don't know how it slipped through, other than last summer when I was doing this road piece, it was pretty much a case of guerrilla journalism :)

I've a strong connection with the music of Norway, and watch out for an announcement in the next couple of weeks, in our news center, about something I've been asked to do in Norway next year. Don't know where you live, but without wanting to be too cryptic, if you're near Kongsberg, I'd reserve Jul 4-7 to come to next year's Kongsberg Jazz Fest. I'll leave it at that for now :)

Thanks again for the kind words, it makes all the difference to hear from folks like yourself... and thanks for the catch...gonna run and fix it now! :)
    Best!
    John
    PS: One more thing: I'm reviewing Helge Lien's latest CD, Natsukashii, tomorrow, so watch out for it to run around the week of August 15. Another great record from a tremendously talented pianist and his trio.

Showcase