Comments

Sort by newest | oldest

7 Archived Comments

• Greg Burk wrote on August 10, 2009 report

I couldn't agree more. In addition to his gifts to the world of jazz as a theoritician and composer, let's not forget the 40 years he spent teaching. I had the good fortune to study with George for two years and he's ideas, and who he was, really opened my mind and took me places I would never have gone. To me, he embodied the searching spirit, the inquisitive mind and tenacious warrior qualities of the all truly great jazz musicians.

• Dallas Vietty wrote on August 10, 2009 report

What a great post. Thank you for this Mr. Rose.

• James Armstrong wrote on August 10, 2009 report

Agreed; this is a great essay. George's writings and perspectives were, and are, right on the mark.

I regret that I missed his group's performance at San Francisco's Great American Music Hall in the 1980s.

• Sue Auclair wrote on August 10, 2009 report

Your information is slightly incorrect. Mr. Russell died on July 27, 2009, not July 28. If you do a google news search you will see that the LA Times, The Washington Post and the Boston Globe all ran stories on July 29. The New York Times followed on the 30th. AP was running the story about 12 hours after he passed.

• Raul d'Gama Rose wrote on August 11, 2009 report

If there was an error in DOD, this is regretted. I stand corrected. However, as regards the coverage, I felt that it was a matter of national coverage, which was disappointing to say the least. Raul

• John Kelman wrote on August 11, 2009 report

FYI, I've corrected the date in the article.
    Best!
    John

• Greg Thomas wrote on August 20, 2009 report

Raul,

A magnificent piece. Hats off, man.

So happens that a few days before he passed I hosted a dialogue between jazz critics and journalists, and musicians for the National Jazz Museum in Harlem. John Gennari reported on Mr. Russell's Alzheimer's, and Gary Giddins played a cut from Mr. Russell's 1956 classic.

The integration of styles ingenious, Bill Evans' percussive, swingin' piano a delight.

I look forward to delving into much more of the work of an unsung master no longer unsung, because of you, Raul.

Showcase