Did Stan Kenton Swing? You Bet Your Walkin' Shoes He Did...
Also on the program (which, according to emcee / alto saxophonist William Mulligan, changes with every performance) were Frank Rosolino's "Blue Daniel" (featuring the Commodores' jazz trombonist, Jamie Way); a medley of big-band hits from the '30s and '40s; Frank Foster's "Blues in Hoss' Flat"; the standard "Just in Time" (featuring flugel Jonathan Barnes and alto Steve Williams); Bob Curnow's arrangement of Pat Metheny's "The Gathering Sky" (with superb solos by pianist Dan LaMaestra and guitarist David Malvaso); a Latin charmer, "La Cosa Labria" (I hope I got that right) by the band's senior chief musician / unit leader / tenor saxophonist Phil Burlin (who also soloed with baritone saxophonist Rob Holmes); and last but not least, a spirited rendition of John Philip Sousa's "Stars and Stripes Forever" with saxophonists Mulligan and Luis Hernandez doubling on piccolo. The Commodores are one of a number of topnotch service bands, all of whom are battle-tested and ready to deliver a pleasurable performance whenever and wherever they face an audience. Their concert at Manzano High School was no exception to the rule.
And that's it for now. Until next time, keep swingin' . . . !
New and Noteworthy
1. Michael Treni Big Band, Boy's Night Out (Bell Production Co.)
2. Tall & Small (Pete Christlieb / Linda Small), High on You (Bosco Records)
3. Kris Berg / Metroplexity Big Band, This Time / Last Year (MAMA Records)
4. Budman / Levy Orchestra, From There to Here (OA2 Records)
5. Frank D'Rone, Double Exposure (Whaling City Sound)
6. Alon Yavnai / NDR Big Band, Shir Ahava (NDR)
7. Joe Chambers Moving Pictures Orchestra, Live at Dizzy's
8. Bob Wilber and the Tuxedo Jazz Orchestra, Rampage! (Arbors Jazz)
9. Metropolitan Jazz Orchestra, Sharks and Manatees (Dazzle Recordings)
10. DiMartino / Osland Jazz Orchestra, Quotient (Sea Breeze Jazz)
11. Millennium Jazz Orchestra, Pretty Pumps (MJO)
12. University of Kentucky, Go! The Music of Bob Mintzer (Mark Records)
13. Beats & Pieces, Big Ideas (Efpi Records)
14. Jens Wendelboe Big Band, Fresh Heat (Rosa Records)
15. Elmhurst College Jazz Band, Blue Comedy (Self Published)