William (Bill) Lee, a composer, arranger, author and educator who pioneered comprehensive music education, including jazz, at the University of Miami, died October 23 at age eighty-two. Lee was dean of UM's School of Music from 1964-82, served as the school's provost and vice-president before retiring in 1989, and was a past president and executive director of the International Association for Jazz Education (IAJE).
As this was being written, word came of the passing of another musical giant, the renowned Hollywood composer / arranger and big-band leader Russell Garcia, at age ninety-five. We'll have more to say about that in our next column.
The Monterey Jazz Festival is accepting applications for its eighth annual Next Generation Jazz Festival to be held next March 30-April 1, 2012. Finalists are chosen through recorded auditions reviewed and ranked by faculty from the Berklee School of Music. The top big bands, combos and vocal ensembles win cash awards and are invited to perform at the fifty-fifth annual Monterey Jazz Festival, September 21-23, 2012. In addition to the high school, college, conglomerate, open combo and middle school divisions, auditions will be held for chairs in the festival's Next Generation Jazz Orchestra, which performs an annual summer tour and is featured on the Monterey Festival's Sunday afternoon Arena / Jimmy Lyons Stage. Application forms may be downloaded at the Monterey Jazz Festival's web site, www.montereyjazzfestival.org The application process is free of charge.
Lastly, Betty and I plan to be in Louisville, KY, in early January to attend the third annual conference of IAJE's successor, the Jazz Education Network (JEN). We'll have a full report in February.
And that's it for now. Until next time, keep swingin' . . . !
New and Noteworthy
1. John MacLeod Rex Hotel Orchestra, Our First Set (no label)
2. Sammy Nestico / SWR Big Band, Fun Time and More Live (Haenssler)
3. Rodger Fox's Wellington Jazz Orchestra, Journey Home (Tbone)
4. Cecilia Coleman Big Band, Oh Boy! (Interplay)
5. Gerald Wilson Orchestra, Legacy (Mack Avenue)
6. Sandvika Storband, A Novel Approach (Sandvika Storband)
7. Dietrich Koch Big Band, Berlin Cookbook (Mons)
8. Howard University Jazz Ensemble, Moonwalk (HUJE Jazz)
9. Dave Grusin, An Evening with Dave Grusin (Heads Up)
10. Tim Davies Big Band, Dialmentia (Origin)
11. Mt. Hood Jazz Band & Combos, Gan Bei (Sea Breeze Vista)
12. Joakim Milder, Takeaway (Apart Records)
13. Marine Corps All-Star Jazz Band,
14. Tromso Big Band, In Traffic (Turnleft)
15. University of the Arts School of Music, Big Band (Self Published)