Bud Shank: Still Going Strong at Eighty-Two
Jazz trumpeter Maynard Ferguson's entire music library has been donated to the University of North Texas in Denton, and his collection of memorabilia including horns, wardrobe and awards will likely be housed at a museum in Denton, the university has announced.
According to UNT music professor Steve Wiest, an anonymous donor and a foundation bought Ferguson's estate for $600,000. The Maynard Ferguson Music Library will cover the high-note maestro's career from the mid-1950s until his death in 2006. The school was chosen, said James Scott, dean of UNT's College of Music, because of its long history of excellence in jazz music. The collection will be available at the university's music library.
And that's it for now. Until next time, keep swingin..'.!
New and Noteworthy
1. Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band, Act Your Age (Immergent Music)
2. DIVA Jazz Orchestra, Live at Lincoln Center's Dizzy's Coca-Cola Club (DIVA Jazz)
3. No Name Horses, No Name Horses II (Universal & Classics Jazz)
4. SWR Big Band / Toshiko Akiyoshi, Let Freedom Swing (Hanssler)
5. Frank Derrick, The Beat Goes On (Jazzed Media)
6. University of North Florida Jazz Ensemble 1, With All My Love (UNF Jazz)
7. Phil Norman Tentet, Totally Live at Catalina Jazz Club (MAMA)
8. Southwest Jazz Orchestra, Live in Santa Fe (SWJO)
9. Greg Caputo Big Band, Classic Swing with a Modern Drive (no label)
10. Georg Riedel / Swedish Radio Jazz Group, Wolfgang on My Mind (Phono Suecia)
11. Kluvers Big Band, Hot House (KBB)
12. DePaul University Jazz Ensemble, That Being Said (Jazzed Media)
13. Nathan Tanouye & the Las Vegas Jazz Connection, Remembering Russ (Peacock Entertainment)
14. Northwestern University Jazz Ensemble, Extra Credit / Jazz Spoken Here (No label)
15. Mace Francis Orchestra, Live (Little Louie Records)