Pete Candoli (and Other Losses...)
"Steve Marcus didn't even change his own reed," Eric writes. "Our lead alto would check Steve's reed from time to time, and if needed, he would change it for [him]. Steve's sax was unplayable by others; pads were leaking, keys were out of whack, dents [were] everywhere. But he could play his butt off every night on it. Go figure!
"We did a Sinatra gig at Carnegie Hall, and Steve's book called for a clarinet double. He took out his clarinet, which he hadn't touched in years, from deep under the [band] bus. When he opened [the case], the clarinet was missing the bell. We [couldn't] go to a music store, as it was Sunday night and nothing was open, and the gig was in about forty-five minutes, [leaving] no time to even call someone, as we were late arriving in NYC. So Steve went and found a Styrofoam coffee cup, covered it with black duct tape, and replaced it as the bell of his clarinet. It sounded fine. Go figure again!
"But that's not the end of the story. The gig called for tuxedos, which was really rare for us. When Steve got his wrinkled tux from the bus bay, it was missing the bow tie. So Steve goes somewhere again, returns with a piece of cardboard, a black marker pen, and a pair of scissors. He then cuts out a 'bow tie,' colors it black with the pen, and duct tapes it to his shirt. No one, including Buddy, noticed the 'clarinet' or the 'bow tie'!"
And that's it for now. Until next time, keep swingin'!
New and Noteworthy
1. Bobby Burgess Big Band Explosion, Live At Rosenau (Mons)
2. Jim Widner Big Band, Out Of This World (Chase Music Group)
3. Rodger Fox Big Band, No Exit (Tbone Records)
4. Gerald Wilson Orchesta, Monterey Moods (Mack Avenue)
5. Jason Lindner Big Band, Live At The Jazz Gallery (Azica Records)
6. Westchester Jazz Orchestra, All In (No label)
7. Texas Tech University, Glimmer Of Night & Day (Sea Breeze Vista)
8. Maynard Ferguson, The Lost Tapes, Vol. 1 (Sleepy Night Records)
9. Gary Tole & Legends of Swing, One Kettle For Count (Summit)
10. Paul Keller Orchestra, A Tribute To Count Basie (PKO Records)
11. Kutztown University Jazz Ensemble, Dance You Monster (Sea Breeze Vista)
12. Knoxville Jazz Orchestra, Blues Man From Memphis (Blue Canoe Records)
13. Michael Berkowitz/Gene Krupa Orchestra, Thinking Of Gene (Sea Breeze Jazz)
14. Johnny Holloway Big Band, Just Friends (Diaspora Connections)
15. Sentimental Journey Orchestra, On The Bandstand (SJO)