But those years were spent growing and gestating, an opportunity to "rethink some of my ideas about my music . The result is Penumbra, a distillation of Maupin's work with Hancock and Miles but also Chick Corea, Woody Shaw and Sonny Rollins. Cryptogramophone expressed great interest in the 2003 recording and a Maupin renaissance began. Though he, like many others, is still better known in Europe, his stateside visibility is increasing through the album and performance. "Finding ways to get the music out there is always a major issue for artists who do the kind of music I do, he affirms. "But I feel really good because I've been able to do it and do it successfully and there haven't been any major collisions.
· Marion BrownJuba-Lee (Fontana, 1966)
· Miles DavisBitches Brew (Columbia-Legacy, 1969)
· Herbie HancockMwandishi: The Complete Warner Brothers Recordings (Warner Brothers, 1969-72)
· Lee MorganLive at the Lighthouse (Blue Note, 1970)
· Bennie MaupinThe Jewel in the Lotus (ECM, 1974)
· Bennie Maupin EnsemblePenumbra (Cryptogramophone, 2003)