What is the Process of A Publicist?
- First step the publicist takes (or should take!) is to meet with the prospective client to discuss specific project, goals, timing, budget, etc.
- After that meeting, the two parties agree to the terms of contract (time period, reporting periods, fee, etc).
- The publicist then collects all background materials from the client (such as old press clips, bios, press releases, CDs, etc), reviews and prepares new bios, press releases, fact sheets, quote sheets, etc., to best present the client as interesting to the media.
- Publicist gets all press kit materials approved by the client.
- The publicist tailors the media list to the project: type of music; budget; national, regional and local contacts; tour-related media; etc.
- The mailing goes out to the media list.
- Publicist contacts media list to make sure each contact received the materials and will review and consider for coverage.
- The publicist contacts all contacts again for same reason. And again...and again...and often again...
- Publicist works with contacts to confirm information, get pieces placed, coordinate interviews, (re)send materials, etc.
- Publicist informs clients on regular basis with reports detailing media coverage status and advises where left off at contract's end.
Thanks for reading!