How to Obtain A Publicist?
- Contact artists you know and admire and ask for their referrals.
- Contact local clubs and radio personnel for referrals, especially if seeking a more localized PR person.
- If looking for more nationally-oriented PR assistance, contact record labels and again, artists, you admire for their suggestions. This can include their websites too, as the PR agents may be listed there.
- Read industry and music magazinesboth local and national.
- Make notes of artists who seem to get a good deal of coverage. There is probably a good publicist behind the story. Seek out this artist, their label, websites, etc, to track down the PR person.
- Once you track down the publicists, contact them directly to ask to exchange packages and information in hopes of possibly working together.
- Discuss timeline of your project and everything that goes with ittouring, special concerts, partnerships, etc, that can provide solid media angles.
- Discuss your media historywho has covered you, how, etcand your goals with new project.
- Discuss your ideal PR targets and results. (Ex) Time Magazine cover - just kidding!
- Discuss fees and negotiate if able for best compromise to serve both sides. This may involve re-negotiating the agreed-upon work load too.
Thanks for reading!